Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

"We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model"

I know there are more topics, regarding this error.

The most frequent solotion is un-install en re-install power BI latest version.

I have done this twice, however the error still occurs.

I hope there is a solution to solve this.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous,

>>What happend, when I tried to save my report the saving process took way longer then it normally did.

I think your data has been broken during last operations.

Unfortunate, current power bi not contains any feature to fix broken files.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you to open the recovered folder to filter out the recently backup files.

15.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

jluna
Regular Visitor

Hi EOL,

I have the same problem but with ALL my reports. I am using the Microsoft Store version (which updates automatically).

A work around was to use the Power BI "downloadable" version (the one that needs admin rights to install) which I had in my computer before and haven't updated since September 2017. That allowed me to open the file and save it as a new version.

Then I opend the second version in the latest Power BI Desktop app and it all worked fine. 

It is very strange, and I hope Microsoft fixes the problem soon. Just in case, I will keep the old Power BI Desktop app in my computer in case this happens again.

Cheers,

Jorge

jluna
Regular Visitor

Just an update on this. The problem gets fixed when I save the second version on my desktop. But if I save it on a network drive. It still doesn't work.

20 REPLIES 20
ruslan131313
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue. Right after March 2020 update to Power BI Microsoft Store app, I can't open any of my reports and getting the same error message. "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model". Anyone else having the same problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right after installing Mar 2020 update I'm not able to open any reports. Getting the error. Please help !!error.PNG

RobertBCG

Hi,

Stil not possible to open PowerBI files. It gives the error over and over again. I tried installing different versions of PowerBi desktop. I tried also to recover the file history, only there isnt one. Please help!

Greetings

Robert

mccrackj
Regular Visitor

I had to uninstall Power BI and reinstall it and this fixed it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, 

i am facing similar issue,

i changed data source, applied changes and saved dashboard

But later when i opened it started throwing this error.

I am using July 2018 version

Please let me know what do i do now. as i am unable to open my pbix file.

Regards,

Honey Bhatia

EOL
Frequent Visitor

After upgrading to Power BI Desktop February 2018 release, I an unable to open one of my reports.

Please fix ASAP.

Erik Olsen

Grayson
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem, 2 of my files failed to open.

Any help, please. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem. I have uninstalled the power BI and re instaled it. it worked perfectly!!

jluna
Regular Visitor

Hi EOL,

I have the same problem but with ALL my reports. I am using the Microsoft Store version (which updates automatically).

A work around was to use the Power BI "downloadable" version (the one that needs admin rights to install) which I had in my computer before and haven't updated since September 2017. That allowed me to open the file and save it as a new version.

Then I opend the second version in the latest Power BI Desktop app and it all worked fine. 

It is very strange, and I hope Microsoft fixes the problem soon. Just in case, I will keep the old Power BI Desktop app in my computer in case this happens again.

Cheers,

Jorge

jluna
Regular Visitor

Just an update on this. The problem gets fixed when I save the second version on my desktop. But if I save it on a network drive. It still doesn't work.

If you want to save a copy to a different drive DO NOT do file -> Save As to a network drive or USB stick. This leads to the error above. 

Instead, close Power BI Desktop, find the file on your disk, use explorer to copy it to the USB or network drive, then open it. This should avoid the error message and open the file with no problems. I can only assume there must be some path information being encoded into the file when doing save as which is then invalidated when opend from a new location or network drive.

EOL
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Jluna,

Your trick worked for me.

BR,

Erik

Grayson
Frequent Visitor

Great, Jluna. Your work-arround works for me. 

I copied my (error) files to local drive and open them from there. It amazingly works!!!!!!!!!

My file threw this error when opening it directly from File Explorer, but worked when I opened Power BI first, then opened the file through the Power BI app.

Version  2.88.1144.0 64-bit (December 2020)

Also noticed that I had signed out of Office 365 in between closing and opening Power BI again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

already tried un-install en re-install?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

which type of datasource and what power bi version you test?

Please share us more detail information to clarify your issue.(detail steps, screenshots, operations you done before the issue appears)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft

Thank you for your reply.

I will try to clarify, however I didn't do much different than before.

What happend, when I tried to save my report the saving process took way longer then it normally did.

The next day I wanted to open the document again and it did not open anymore and showed the following error: 

Other documents, which I had saved the week before opened just fine.

This happend around 25 of january and I did not updated yet to the latest version of power BI (I did update till Decemeber).

after looking at the community forum I decided to do the update to version: 2.54.4970.961

After the update and it did still not work. I uninstallen and reinstalled power BI twice and still doesn't work.

I am only using excel files throughout my report. 

If you need any further information please let me know

Hi @Anonymous,

>>What happend, when I tried to save my report the saving process took way longer then it normally did.

I think your data has been broken during last operations.

Unfortunate, current power bi not contains any feature to fix broken files.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you to open the recovered folder to filter out the recently backup files.

15.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft

Thank you for your reply.

I did not manage to get it back. Luckely I had a back up save from a week ago and rebuilt the things I had in the past week.

HI @Anonymous,

Current power bi is released a few more features monthly, sometimes it will cause some issues, some of seriously issues may broken your data/files. (compatible issue, new feature release...)

In my opinion, I think turn on the recovery feature will be help for prevent loss from similar issues.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.