Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Unable to open document" - .pbix incompatible with current version

Greetings!
I've been having an issue for the past couple of days with opening a .pbix file on the Desktop version after it has been edited via browser in the Power BI online workspace (p1 node).The error im getting is:errorerror

The version i run is:Capture1.PNG

I have already tried to uninstall and install the latest version several times but i had no luch with it...
Any ideas?

Regards,
Antonio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue got fixed with the newer version that is available for download now (June '19).
My advise is to be extremely carefull when editing via the online service - this can "brake" your file.
The ticket that i open a few days ago didn't help - got in touch with support, but the person was extremely unadequate.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

If you could download a new copy of the file from the PBI service and try it again.

And do you try to install all 32bit and 64bit version.

And you could refer to this blog to try again.

https://www.baswijdenes.com/portfolio/fix-power-bi-desktop-unable-to-open-document-install-latest-version/

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi
I tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions with no luck.
A few moments ago I did what you suggested - uninstalled the version i had (downloaded from Power BI online), got one from the Microsoft Store and the result is the same - can't open files that were edited recently online. I believe the issue is that there is some delay between the newest version being deployed online and being available for download...
Anyways, issue still here 😞

hi, @Anonymous 

On my side, it works well. If you try the old version as below:

https://zenatti.net/2019/05/12/power-bi-april-2019/

Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin
Thank you for trying to help me, really appreciate that!

I tried the April version with no luck - still the same message. Tried both 32 and 64bit again. Then followed the bottom-right corner "click to download the latest version" message in the Desktop version, got that one and left it there. Im getting the same error and its starting to drive me a little nuts 🙂 Luckily im still able to edit the reports that are most critical to me and my team and the ones that are affected can wait a day or two.

Regards,
Antonio

hi, @Anonymous 

It's pleasant that you could edit the reports that are most critical to me and my team. Smiley Very Happy

Do you mean that some few reports couldn't be open? so you could open these reports on other computers?

If this is important reports, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Best Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin

Thank you! I opened a ticket with the Power BI Support and will post the solution when such is found.

Cheers,
Antonio

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue got fixed with the newer version that is available for download now (June '19).
My advise is to be extremely carefull when editing via the online service - this can "brake" your file.
The ticket that i open a few days ago didn't help - got in touch with support, but the person was extremely unadequate.

hi, @Anonymous 

It's pleasant that your problem has been solved,

Could you please accept the reply as solution, that way, other community members will easily find the solution when they get same issue.  Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.