Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"This table is empty" - table Import from Access

Hello!

So, I am having somewhat of a strange issue and am not sure how to solve. I am attempting to import a table from an Access database, but I receive the message "this table is empty" even though the column names show. Based on other threads similar to this, I thought it might be related to my account permissions, however, I have already imported several tables from this database with no issue.  Well, I finally diagnosed the problem, which was a Like operator in the query (image below). When I removed the criteria, the table shows up in PowerBi. I should also note that the query runs just fine in Access.

Any suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

Access Design.PNGCapture2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Power BI Desktop will not directly import those Access queries which have  Like operator. In your scenario, you can connect to the data source using ODBC connector instead, or remove the like operator, then import data to Power BI Desktop, and filter data in Power BI.

There is a similar thread for your reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-Bi-will-not-import-query-from-Access-with-quot-Like-quot/td-p/8038

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
duyarra
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I just had the same issue and solved by replacing "*" for "%" where they showed in the SQL code for the view. 

This didn't work:

[..]  WHERE (((Clientes.NombreComercial) Like "*ENLACE*"))

But this worked both in Excel get and transform and in the Power BI's query editor:

[..] WHERE (((Clientes.NombreComercial) Like "%ENLACE%"))

I has to do with the SQL ANSI 92 compatibility issues in Access. I hope it helps!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Power BI Desktop will not directly import those Access queries which have  Like operator. In your scenario, you can connect to the data source using ODBC connector instead, or remove the like operator, then import data to Power BI Desktop, and filter data in Power BI.

There is a similar thread for your reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-Bi-will-not-import-query-from-Access-with-quot-Like-quot/td-p/8038

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.