Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

juan_pablo
Advocate III
Advocate III

"There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied" doesn't goes away

Hi,

After April's update, some of my report appeared with the warning message: "There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied". I then click "Apply Changes", Power BI applies the changes, and few seconds later, the warning message appears again.

This doesn't affect the report (in fact, I didn't made any changes to the queries, the warning just appeared after the update), but it takes space on the canvas and it's annoying to always have that warning covering the top centimeters of the report.

Is there any solution to this? May's update didn't solved the issue.

46 REPLIES 46

All I had to do to fix this same problem was rename the parameters. Literally just that simple. 

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Happening to me also with the June 2020 release.  Could we please get a fix for this other than having to "rebuild" our model?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having exactly the same problem. Is there any solution to this? I am able to ignore it, but am not sure if there are any "knock on" effects.  I can neither Apply nor Discard the changes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-diye-msft , can we get another look at this issue? It would be nice to get some sort of workaround other than "rebuild your whole PBIX". This looks like a legitimate bug and most likely due to the "enhanced metadata" preview feature. Thanks!

Sebas2905
Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem and was able to solve the issue, but be aware!  You will have to recreate your relationships in the model and your calculated columns in the tables. It's not perfect, but it's a lot less work than rebuilding the report entirely.

I did the following:

1. I opened the file with the "Pending changes" issue and opened the Power Query editor

2. I opened a new power BI file and copied all the tables from the file with the "Pending changes"issue to the new file and loaded the tables in the new file

3. I deleted all tables in the Power Query Editor in the file with the "Pending changes" issue, except for my Measures table. I kept the measures table. So make sure all your measures are put in a measures table. Don't close the Power Query editor!

4. Open the Power Query editor in the new file and copy all tables (except for the measures table) back to your file with the "Pending changes" issue.

5. Close the Power Query editor in the file with the "Pending changes" issue and it will load all tables. The message should now disappear.

This error may still occur in new desktop releases. In my case, this happened due to cross-references between two Queries. Query2 refers to the field Query1[Fileld_1] in calculations, and Query1 then gets the calculated [Fileld_2] from Query2. Getting rid of the cross-references, "Apply Changes" warning disappears. Apparently, this is a some kind of bug, because the link is a cross-reference, not cyclic, and all the queries work out without errors...

Had same issue. The offenders were two parameters. Added some text in the descriptions for both and applied updates. Now is fixed.

Thank you @Sebas2905  for your answer, seems it could work for small reports. Unfortunatelly your solution is not an option for me, I have more than 50 tables and hundreds of measures. The report is linked with a gateway and that could break the configuration in the PBI service. So I prefer to wait for a more formal solution.

Thank you anyway 😉

@juan_pablo : I understand. We also had to fix this issue in a report with almost 300 measures, 50 calculated columns and more than 30 tables. We had to do this, because it's a report which we've build for a client and we weren't able to apply any changes anymore in the report due to this bug. Support became impossible. It was a lot of work, but currently the only option. I hope a fix will be released for you soon, but keep in mind that it's possible that you will run into the same problem as we had, namely: not being able to apply any changes in the Power Query editor.

Good luck!

Try following solution

Download the latest June 2020 build (version: 2.82.5858.961). If the issue still exists, try the following:

1. Click “Discard changes” on the yellow warning bar, and take note of which tables its identifying as stale
    2. In the Power Query Editor, change the description for each of the “stale” queries with value something like “test”
    3. Apply changes

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

So here's a strange one. Oct 2022 release caused this issue for me, however when I try the above and go back into the Power Query editor, all of the queries displayed by "discard changes" have now been deleted!

Two years later, the same thing is happening again, this time with the August 2022 release. Nothing I tried worked, until I saw your post. I had two parameters that weren't even loaded. I changed their names as you described, and kapow, the "There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied" message vanished. Nice job! 

Hi  @parry2k 

I still don't get why for some users the solution worked if there is no option "Discard Changes" on the yellow warning. Nor I can find stale tables, all are working fine. My only issue is with the yellow sing that doesn’t disappear even after hitting the “X” it pops again few seconds after.

Isn’t another solution for users that have metadata turned off?

Thanks this worked for me.  I just had to add a description to the impacted tables in Power Query.  Maybe related to the enhanced metadata breaking my existing tables.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  That worked! Thank you!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k , unfortunately that did not work for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried it again today and it worked. Go figure! Thanks @parry2k  for the workaround.

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@parry2k - That appears to have worked, thanks!  What I did notice is that the table giving me problems had previously been given a description (in Query Editor, Properties) but that it was now blank.  Put the description back in and the "pending changes" message disappeared after doing a "Close and Apply".  FWIW, about two weeks ago, I noticed that after loading a new version of MS PowerBI, all my query descriptions had multiple repeated descriptions within them.

FWIW, I don't see how we can mark something as a solution.  Used to be able to do that but no longer appears as an option.

Hi @parry2k thanks for your reply.

I just installed the last versión and the issue continues.

There's no "Discard Changes" option. If you refer to the "X", after clicing it, nothing happens and the warning appears again.

juan_pablo_0-1593093498400.png

There are no stale tables, in fact the report works fine and it succesfuly updates all the tables, so I can't follow your steps.

Thanks.

@juan_pablo thanks for the feedback. So seems like you haven't turned on enhanced metadata which is ok. So question is, after you click x, does this issue pops back again or it is fixed? That's something not clear from your reply.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k   If I clic the "X" the warning pops back few second later.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.