Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jobowman
Regular Visitor

"The expression refers to multiple columns..." error for summarize

I need help getting this query to return properly.  I'm trying to get a by-client count of orders.  I have reviewed the syntax many times and cannot figure out how to get it to cooperate.

Orders = SUMMARIZE('remotedb tblorders','remotedb tblorders'[FromName],"Orders",DISTINCTCOUNT('remotedb tblorders'[OrderNo]))
4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jobowman,

The SUMMARIZE returns a table result while a measure or a calculated column requires a scala value. If you use this formula to create a calculated table, you will get no errors. What were you going to do? The SUMMARIZE should be used as a parameter of other functions in a measure. Such as SUMX, COUTNX. 

Orders =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE (
        'remotedb tblorders',
        'remotedb tblorders'[FromName],
        "Orders", DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'remotedb tblorders'[OrderNo] )
    ),
    [Orders]
)

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for helping!  I'm trying to get a count of the orders for each individual client, which is the first column of a SQL call I'm trying to recreate.  I'm assuming that if this function returns a table, I wouldn't be able to apend the following columns to it,?  If this is the case, do you have any suggestions on how I tackle this?

SELECT Fromname

COUNT(distinct tblorders.OrderNo) As Orders,
COUNT(if(tblorders.picked_on Is Null and tblorders.packed_on IS Null and tblorders.shipped_on IS Null,1,NULL)) as Left_To_Scan,
COUNT(distinct tblorders.OrderNo)-COUNT(distinct tblshipconf.OrderNo) As Left_to_Ship

FROM tblorders
left join stopped_orders on (tblorders.orderno = stopped_orders.orderno)
left join tblshipconf on (tblorders.orderno=tblshipconf.orderno)
WHERE stopped_orders.orderno is Null and if(weekday(now())>=1,
tblorders.created >= DATE(NOW()),
tblorders.created >= DATE(NOW()) - INTERVAL 3 DAY)
GROUP by clients.ClientName

Hi @jobowman,

You can try the DAX function dax/addcolumns-function-dax to add a column. But the result is still a table. 

Can you share a sample and the expected result?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @v-jiascu-msft ,

I want to create a measure(SDP), which i will add the measure (sdp) to my report filter page. 

My requirement is to filter certain ids from the list.

Example : I have a customer table with customer_id column has a list of id's, I want to filter our certain customers from the columns. 

Customer . Customer_id not in ("123","234",235","345","456") .

My customer_id is so huge that i cant add the column directly to the filter and select those values manually. How do I create a measure for this requirement.

Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.