Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fletchb
Frequent Visitor

"System.OutOfMemoryException"/Desktop keeps crashing

Every time I open a previously created report in desktop, which was running fine during the same session as it was created (using ~160MB of memory), Power BI desktop's memory usage increases rapidly for a minute or so until it reaches between 450-750MB of use, at which point the program crashes abruptly. The PC at this point still has plently of memory available (at least a GB). Sometimes it gives the error message "System.OutOfMemoryException" before a Windows prompt to terminate the program, other times it just crashes after returning that message, and more recently it just crashes without returning any error message at all.

The report is pulling a couple of Excel sheets from a server using HTTP, and then all the other data sets are references of those. I have noticed that during that minute after opening when memory usage is increasing, if I delete a few data sets (regardless of whether they are the onces sourced through HTTP or referenced) then the program doesn't crash and memory usage stabilises to ~400MB. If I save this edited report, close it and reopen it, it crashes the same as before even though it was running fine a minute before.

I'm using the latest version of Power BI desktop 32-bit (needs to be compatible with 32-bit Office).

Any pointers would be much appreciated as I'm completely stumped! Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.