Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

fletchb
Frequent Visitor

"System.OutOfMemoryException"/Desktop keeps crashing

Every time I open a previously created report in desktop, which was running fine during the same session as it was created (using ~160MB of memory), Power BI desktop's memory usage increases rapidly for a minute or so until it reaches between 450-750MB of use, at which point the program crashes abruptly. The PC at this point still has plently of memory available (at least a GB). Sometimes it gives the error message "System.OutOfMemoryException" before a Windows prompt to terminate the program, other times it just crashes after returning that message, and more recently it just crashes without returning any error message at all.

The report is pulling a couple of Excel sheets from a server using HTTP, and then all the other data sets are references of those. I have noticed that during that minute after opening when memory usage is increasing, if I delete a few data sets (regardless of whether they are the onces sourced through HTTP or referenced) then the program doesn't crash and memory usage stabilises to ~400MB. If I save this edited report, close it and reopen it, it crashes the same as before even though it was running fine a minute before.

I'm using the latest version of Power BI desktop 32-bit (needs to be compatible with 32-bit Office).

Any pointers would be much appreciated as I'm completely stumped! Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
aviral
Advocate III
Advocate III

I was experiencing the same issue and resolved it by increasing the size of the paging file by following these steps: 

1. Open file explorer. 

2. Right click on "My Computer"/"This PC" and select properties.

3. Select "Advanced System Settings" from left-navigation panel. 

4. Click "Advanced" tab. 

5. Click "Settings" in "Performance" section. 

6. Select "Adjust for best performance" in "Visual Effects" tab. 

7. Click "Change" in "Advanced" tab. 

8. Uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size" 

9. Select the drives (preferably SSD) and under custom size mention the size in multiple of thousands to set the size. I set minimum to 16000 and maximum to 32000

This worked for m. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello friend,

Did you get the solution to the issue you are facing?

As I am also facing the issue "System.OutOfMemoryException".

Please help in case you have the solution to this.

Thanks in advance

Vishnu

@Anonymous Try fully uninstalling Power BI and reinstalling. Or try uploading the file to service and then redownloading it to desktop

I am getting crashes in just about every PowerBI doc I open in the last 3-4 days. I haven't changed anything hardware wise. Before these 3-4 days it was running fine. The problem appears to occure where I am either adding some calculated columns, sometimes when trying to publish (although it does publish successfully it then creashes out with the reason of systemmemory).

I too am using 32bit to ensure it is compatible with 32bit Office that our company use (I don't know why head of IT in companies insist on 32bit, it's at every company I go to). The crashes happen even before 100% of the RAM is taken up.

I have tried the docs on a completely different machine (granted, also with extra RAM, but shouldn't make a difference in 32bit mode?) and it runs perfectly fine, just like it use to on this system.

I don't know if its the same issue as I found, but we got the same result when trying to read from an Excel file containign a table. Turns out the source system had created the table with all the empty columns in the Excel sheet as columns; over 16,000 of them! Once the spurious columns were deleted from the table it worked fine.

rkocher
Advocate I
Advocate I

@v-piga-msft and @fletchb did we get a solution or explanation to this error??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rkocher  i have same error in pbi service refresh thru gateway? any solutions?

@Anonymous @fletchb

Not sure if a solution or a happy coincidence. Did a hard reset on my computer, cleared %temp% files, and then opened a new instance of Power BI and haven't had the same issue occur.

Best of luck! 

nikosd

I am having the same error on a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter with 32GB RAM while memory usage is only  23% when the error occurs.

Is there any solution for this error?

nikosd

I am having the same error on a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter with 32GB RAM while memory usage is only  23% when the error occurs.

Is there any solution for this error?

FME_PowerBI

We are having a similar issue. We have a report using both data from SQL server 2016 and an Excel sheet. It used to work fine but now it seems to crash after about 30 seconds with system.outofmemoryexception.

Would be very interesting to hear what causes this. I'm using 64bit version of PowerBI

I'm having the same problem, but only with a specific report.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @fletchb,

Do you have this issue only for this report or for all reports?

Besides, what is your Memory space?

If it is convenient, could you please share the log files. It is helpful to turn on tracing and gather log files, to better isolate and identify the issue. To turn on tracing, select File > Options and settings > Options and then select Diagnostics, then check Enable tracing under Diagnostic Options. We realize that Power BI Desktop must be running to set this option, which is more helpful for future issues associated with launching Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft

I've attached both the errors from the log file below. I couldn't upload more due to the message character limit and I can't see any way to attach a file. 

I'd appreciate it a lot if you could take a look, and let me know if you need any other information 

thanks 🙂

DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2018-08-06T06:52:36.4112586Z","Action":"PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo/SetPreviewValue","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.OutOfMemoryException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSimpleExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadPrimaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadTypeExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadMetadataExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadEqualityExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadAsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadIsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalAndExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalOrExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadRecordInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadRecordExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSimpleExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadPrimaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadTypeExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadMetadataExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadEqualityExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadAsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadIsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalAndExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalOrExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadFunctionOrInExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSectionMember()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSection()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSectionDocument(TokenReference begin)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadFirstDocument()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadDocument(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.<Parse>b__0(ITokens t, IDocumentHost h, Action`1 l)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Func`4 read)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.IEngine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.ParseSections()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.GetPartitionKeys()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.<get_PartitionKeys>d__0.MoveNext()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RelationshipIdentityAscriber.AscribeRelationshipIdentity(IPartitionedDocument document)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult[T](DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.BeginEvaluation()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.EvaluationComplete(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.BeginGetResult(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.BeginGetResult[T](Evaluator evaluator, DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.BeginEvaluation()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.EvaluationComplete(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<Complete>b__0()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.NotifyingPreviewValueSource.Dispose()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.PackageDocumentAnalysisInfo.PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.60.5169.3201 (18.07)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":8060,"Tid":24,"Duration":"00:00:00.9257497"}
DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2018-08-06T06:52:37.3399678Z","Action":"UnexpectedExceptionHandler/HandleException","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.OutOfMemoryException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSimpleExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadPrimaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadTypeExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadMetadataExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadEqualityExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadAsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadIsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalAndExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalOrExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadRecordInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadRecordExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSimpleExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadPrimaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadTypeExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadMetadataExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadEqualityExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadAsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadIsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalAndExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalOrExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadFunctionOrInExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSectionMember()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSection()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSectionDocument(TokenReference begin)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadFirstDocument()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadDocument(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.<Parse>b__0(ITokens t, IDocumentHost h, Action`1 l)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Func`4 read)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.IEngine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.ParseSections()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.GetPartitionKeys()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.<get_PartitionKeys>d__0.MoveNext()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RelationshipIdentityAscriber.AscribeRelationshipIdentity(IPartitionedDocument document)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult[T](DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.BeginEvaluation()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.EvaluationComplete(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.BeginGetResult(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.BeginGetResult[T](Evaluator evaluator, DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.BeginEvaluation()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.EvaluationComplete(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<Complete>b__0()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.NotifyingPreviewValueSource.Dispose()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.PackageDocumentAnalysisInfo.PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.CachingDocumentAnalysisInfo.CachingPartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.DocumentHost.DocumentAnalyzer.Analyze(IPartitionAnalysisInfo partitionInfo, AccessRecorder recorder, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.DocumentHost.DocumentAnalyzer.<>c__DisplayClass10.<BeginAnalyzeDocumentPartition>b__d(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose(Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose[T](Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.Complete(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose(Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose[T](Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.Complete(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose(Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose[T](Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.<>c__DisplayClass3`1.<BeginGetResult>b__0(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose(Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose[T](Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.Complete(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.RemoteEvaluation`1.TryComplete(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.PreviewValueSourceRemoteEvaluation.GetResult(Boolean enableFirewall)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.RemoteEvaluation.Evaluate(Boolean enableFirewall)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.EvaluationThread(Object state)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.GlobalizedEvaluatorThreadPool.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Start>b__3(Object s)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluatorThreadPool.EvaluatorThread(Object state)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass2.<CreateThreadStart>b__0(Object o)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(Object o)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.60.5169.3201 (18.07)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":8060,"Tid":24,"Duration":"00:00:00.0003570"}

DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2018-08-06T06:52:36.4112586Z","Action":"PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo/SetPreviewValue","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.OutOfMemoryException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSimpleExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadPrimaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadTypeExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadMetadataExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadEqualityExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadAsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadIsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalAndExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalOrExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadRecordInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadRecordExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSimpleExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadPrimaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadTypeExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadMetadataExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadEqualityExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadAsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadIsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalAndExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalOrExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadFunctionOrInExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSectionMember()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSection()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSectionDocument(TokenReference begin)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadFirstDocument()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadDocument(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.<Parse>b__0(ITokens t, IDocumentHost h, Action`1 l)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Func`4 read)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.IEngine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.ParseSections()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.GetPartitionKeys()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.<get_PartitionKeys>d__0.MoveNext()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RelationshipIdentityAscriber.AscribeRelationshipIdentity(IPartitionedDocument document)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult[T](DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.BeginEvaluation()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.EvaluationComplete(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.BeginGetResult(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.BeginGetResult[T](Evaluator evaluator, DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.BeginEvaluation()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.EvaluationComplete(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<Complete>b__0()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.NotifyingPreviewValueSource.Dispose()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.PackageDocumentAnalysisInfo.PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.60.5169.3201 (18.07)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":8060,"Tid":24,"Duration":"00:00:00.9257497"}
DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2018-08-06T06:52:37.3399678Z","Action":"UnexpectedExceptionHandler/HandleException","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.OutOfMemoryException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSimpleExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadPrimaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadTypeExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadMetadataExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadEqualityExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadAsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadIsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalAndExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalOrExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadRecordInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadRecordExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSimpleExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadPrimaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadTypeExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadUnaryExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadMetadataExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadEqualityExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadAsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadIsExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalAndExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLogicalOrExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadFunctionOrInExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetInitializers()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadLetExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpressionUnchecked()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadExpression()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSectionMember()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSection()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadSectionDocument(TokenReference begin)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadFirstDocument()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Ast.DocumentReader.ReadDocument(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.<Parse>b__0(ITokens t, IDocumentHost h, Action`1 l)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Func`4 read)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.IEngine.Parse(ITokens tokens, IDocumentHost host, Action`1 log)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.ParseSections()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.GetPartitionKeys()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MemberLetPartitionedDocument.<get_PartitionKeys>d__0.MoveNext()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RelationshipIdentityAscriber.AscribeRelationshipIdentity(IPartitionedDocument document)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult[T](DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.BeginEvaluation()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.EvaluationComplete(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.BeginGetResult(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.BeginGetResult[T](Evaluator evaluator, DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.BeginEvaluation()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.EvaluationComplete(Evaluation evaluation)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<Complete>b__0()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.NotifyingPreviewValueSource.Dispose()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.PackageDocumentAnalysisInfo.PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.CachingDocumentAnalysisInfo.CachingPartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.DocumentHost.DocumentAnalyzer.Analyze(IPartitionAnalysisInfo partitionInfo, AccessRecorder recorder, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action`1 callback)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.DocumentHost.DocumentAnalyzer.<>c__DisplayClass10.<BeginAnalyzeDocumentPartition>b__d(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose(Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose[T](Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.Complete(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose(Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose[T](Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.Complete(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose(Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose[T](Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.DocumentEvaluator.<>c__DisplayClass3`1.<BeginGetResult>b__0(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose(Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResultExtensions.InvokeThenOnDispose[T](Action`1 callback, EvaluationResult2`1 result, Action action)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.LimitedDocumentEvaluatorFactory.Evaluation`1.Complete(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.RemoteEvaluation`1.TryComplete(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.PreviewValueSourceRemoteEvaluation.GetResult(Boolean enableFirewall)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.RemoteEvaluation.Evaluate(Boolean enableFirewall)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.EvaluationThread(Object state)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.GlobalizedEvaluatorThreadPool.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Start>b__3(Object s)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluatorThreadPool.EvaluatorThread(Object state)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass2.<CreateThreadStart>b__0(Object o)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(Object o)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.60.5169.3201 (18.07)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":8060,"Tid":24,"Duration":"00:00:00.0003570"}

Hi @v-piga-msft,

Here is the trace error log, I've kept all the lines showing "error"due to the message character limit, as I couldn't see how to upload a file. If you could have a look I'd really appreciate it

thanks 🙂

Hi @fletchb,

If you create a report with simple data, do you have this error?

In addition, do you have 64 bit Power BI?  If not, you should get it. 

For your case, it seems that you don't have enough memory. Please extend your memory as much as possible. You can refer to this article(though the article is about PowerPivot, it should be similar with Power BI) to optimize your data model in a way that makes a better use the available memory. For another thing, if you upload the data in import model, please disable "Allow data preview to download in the background" from options / options and settings/data load. And check if it is useful.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

I seem to have this issue for all reports, or at least all the ones I have tried which all use reports from the same server. Total system memory is 8GB, and total system usage reaches anywhere between 65%-85% before crashing.

I'm out of office until Monday so can't share the log files until then unfortunately.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.