Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

callum
Helper II
Helper II

"Remove blank rows" doesn't seem to be working, and other strange behaviour

Hi,

I have a dataset where one column has some occasional blank values, and I'd like to remove the corresponding rows from the dataset. In the query editor, I select the column so it's highlighted, and go to Remove rows>Remove blank rows at the top. However, this doesn't seem to remove the rows in question.

I thought perhaps the values were a single space, for example, rather than an empty string, and this is why they're not being removed. So in DAX I added another column, "length", with the value of LEN(tablename[columnname]). But the weird thing is, in the rows where columnname is "blank", so is the length! I don't see what could be causing this, as even LEN("") returns 0, and I can't think of any other inputs that would return nothing when put into the LEN function.

So firstly, am I doing something wrong in trying to remove rows with an "empty" value in a certain column, and secondly, how come the calculated column using LEN does not have any value whatsoever on these rows?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can select the column dropdown and choose "Remove Empty":

Remove Empty in Column.png

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@callum,

Instead of selecting "Remove Empty", unselect the values that appear to be blank. For more information, take a look at Advanced Editor.

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So if you want to remove rows that are completely empty (in all columns), you can use the option "Remove Rows" - "Remove Blank Rows", which will generate code like from you can see that it checks all fieldvalues in each entire row:

= Table.SelectRows(Source, each not List.IsEmpty(List.RemoveMatchingItems(Record.FieldValues(_), {"", null})))

If you want to remove rows with an empty value in e.g. Column2, my suggestion in my previous post generates code like:

= Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Column2] <> null and [Column2] <> "")

@v-chuncz-msft if I understand correctly, you are from Microsoft, in which case I think it's rather strange to advise not to use the standard option. That would be a good advice if this functionality is used, and still some "empty" values would still remain.

But as far as I understand, the case here is that rows with empty values in a column must be removed and not rows that are completely blank.

Then again: possibly I misunderstood and your post will still be marked as solution.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can select the column dropdown and choose "Remove Empty":

Remove Empty in Column.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try creating the equivalent Power Query custom column with something like Text.Length

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt253345.aspx

See what it returns and then maybe you can filter out all the zeros or ones on this column?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.