Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Publish" report with live connection to PBI Service, overwrite, "Conflict" error

Good Afternoon,

I am using the new "live connection" feature in PBI Desktop to work on a shared dataset. I was able to upload a report using this connection to multiple workspaces. However, when I attempt to upload an update (overwrite existing on PBI service), the following error is returned:

PBI screenshot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Followed your steps, it can work on my side.

I can modify the report, then republish it.

So i can say it is not a circular reference issue.

Deteling it in Power BI Service and republishing is a workaround currently.

Other workaround here.

As for causes, there are a few things you should know:

• If you already have two or more datasets in Power BI with the same name as the Power BI Desktop file, publish could fail. Make sure you have only one dataset in Power BI with the same name. You can also rename the file and publish, creating a new dataset with same name as the file.
  • If you rename or delete a column or measure, any visualizations you already have in Power BI with that field could be broken.
  • Power BI ignores some format changes of existing columns. For example, if you change a column’s format from 0.25 to 25%.
  • If you have a refresh schedule configured for your existing dataset in Power BI and you add new data sources to your file and then re-publish, you’ll have to sign into them in Manage Data Sources prior to the next scheduled refresh.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Followed your steps, it can work on my side.

I can modify the report, then republish it.

So i can say it is not a circular reference issue.

Deteling it in Power BI Service and republishing is a workaround currently.

Other workaround here.

As for causes, there are a few things you should know:

• If you already have two or more datasets in Power BI with the same name as the Power BI Desktop file, publish could fail. Make sure you have only one dataset in Power BI with the same name. You can also rename the file and publish, creating a new dataset with same name as the file.
  • If you rename or delete a column or measure, any visualizations you already have in Power BI with that field could be broken.
  • Power BI ignores some format changes of existing columns. For example, if you change a column’s format from 0.25 to 25%.
  • If you have a refresh schedule configured for your existing dataset in Power BI and you add new data sources to your file and then re-publish, you’ll have to sign into them in Manage Data Sources prior to the next scheduled refresh.

Best Regards
Maggie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you connect to a power bi dataset from Power BI Service,

then publish to Power BI Service to replace the power bi dataset?

If so, it should be impossible as it is circular reference.

Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie,

Let me walk through the steps taken to ensure I am not creating a circular reference.

I have a data model in "My Workspace". I use PBI Desktop to create a live connection to this dataset and create a report. I then publish the resulting report to the Service to a different workspace "Sales". I decide to make changes to the report, which is still opened in PBI Desktop and connected to the data model in "My Workspace". I make a few changes, save the file and then publish again to "Sales". My intention is to overwrite the file I published a few minutes ago so the changes will reflect. When I do so the error persists "conflict".

If I delete the report from the workspace, then publish the report there is no issue. I do not see how that is any different from an overwrite...

Let me know if I have somehow created a circular reference so I can understand how to avoid this. Otherwise, how can I make changes to an existing dataset created from a live connection.

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.