Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zacksg1
Advocate II
Advocate II

"Public" role using Row-Level Security

I have a report in which some of the data can be public (and we'd ideally like to embed on a website) and some of the data should only be viewed by specific staff. I can certainly set up RLS for the internal staff, but wondering how to structure the public/outwardly-facing data. 

The best solution I'm aware of involves creating the full report, implemeting RLS for staff, then creating a second report referencing report 1's data, filter to only include public data, and make report 2 public. 

Any ideas for a cleaner way to do this (that doesn't involve maintaining two seperate reports)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zacksg1 

As publish to web feature has some limitations, creating two separate reports for public and internal users is a better approach.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
zacksg1
Advocate II
Advocate II

It sounds like two reports in the way to go: I'll need a PublicReport and an OrganizationalReport. 

There are a mulitple data sources feeding these reports. It seems like it should be possible to create duplicate datasets for each data source (one public and one organizational for each data source), and then build the PublicReport and OrganizationalReport off of these. 

However, that seems unnecessarily duplicative--I want the initial work of importing/cleaning/etc. for each data source to happen once, not twice. For example, if I load a table from a spreadsheet,  I want that to happen in a single query--I don't want one query to load that data for later use by the PublicReport and a totally seperate query to load that same data for later use by the OrganizationalReport. 

Is there a way to split these two strands of data AFTER each data source is loaded cleaned (and potentially combined into a MasterDataSet)....or do I need two seperate datasets for each data sources?

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zacksg1 

As publish to web feature has some limitations, creating two separate reports for public and internal users is a better approach.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@zacksg1 , As the Public report, will not have RLS, no user login. You need to have two reports. I think the approach two reports you are planning is better.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.