Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sgross
Helper I
Helper I

"One of the Columns Must Have Unique Values"

I'm getting an error message, but one of the columns definitely does have unique values.

In Excel, I've highlighted duplicates, deleted duplicates, changed formatting to catch things that were technically duplicates with dashes in-between the numbers, and deleted duplicates all over again. According to Excel, there are no duplicates left. Not a one. One sheet is all unique values.

Any idea why I'd still be getting this error? I've tried everything I can think of. I am bamboozled.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sgross
Helper I
Helper I

Cracked it!

I scrubbed through manually (thankfully it was only a few hundred entries, rather than thousands) and found two entries with unnecessary spaces tacked onto the end - making them technically unique values, invisible to any Remove/Highlight functions!

Worth noting that, before I stumbled upon these, I ran a Find and Replace in Excel, attempting to find spaces and replace them with nothing; clicking into the 'find' field, there was already a space in there (from a previous operation, I guess?) meaning I'd accidentally been searching for and trying to replace TWO spaces, rather than one. So, that's why it didn't work!

Cheers for your help, everyone!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.