Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kressb
Helper V
Helper V

"New Table" in PowerBI Desktop

I created a "New Table" in PowerBI Desktop off of an existing table:

Table =
Filter(
Summarize(ExistingTable, ExistingTable[UniqueID1], ExistingTable[UniqueID2], ExistingTable[Name], ExistingTable[Number1], ExistingTable[Number2], Rollforward[Number3], ExistingTable[Number4], ExistingTable[Number5],ExistingTable[Notes], ExistingTable[Site], "StartDate", Min(ExistingTable[Start Date])),
CONTAINSSTRING(ExistingTable[Notes],"Abc"))

Now I'm having an issue where it's pulling more than the minimum Start Date for a Name.
Why is it pulling more than the "Min(ExistingTable[StartDate])"?

EDIT:
Here is the "ExistingTable" - I only want the highlighted lines in the New Table:
kressb_0-1629219185209.png

I am currently getting this result:

kressb_1-1629219249314.png

It is giving me.. the first date of any changes/updates?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kressb you can wrap it in SELECTCOLUMNS function and list the columns you need.

Table 2 = 
VAR __table = ADDCOLUMNS ( VALUES ( 'Table'[UniqueId2] ), "@MinDate", CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'Table'[Start Date] ) ) )
RETURN
SELECTCOLUMNS (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        'Table',
        TREATAS ( __table, 'Table'[UniqueId2], 'Table'[Start Date] )
    ),
    "UniqueId1", [UniqueId1],
    "UniqueId2", [UniqueId2],
    "Number1", [Number1]
)

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kressb you can wrap it in SELECTCOLUMNS function and list the columns you need.

Table 2 = 
VAR __table = ADDCOLUMNS ( VALUES ( 'Table'[UniqueId2] ), "@MinDate", CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'Table'[Start Date] ) ) )
RETURN
SELECTCOLUMNS (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        'Table',
    ),
    "UniqueId1", [UniqueId1],
    "UniqueId2", [UniqueId2],
    "Number1", [Number1]
)

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k AMAZING!! Thank you!!! 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kressb try this to create a table

Table 2 = 
RETURN
CALCULATETABLE (
    'Table',
)

and here is the output

parry2k_0-1629227651603.png

Follow us on LinkedIn

@parry2k 
is there a way to limit/specify which columns are returned (the real "ExistingTable" has about 100 columns. I need 11 of them.)

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kressb let me ask you this, in the case of 55555 where number 1 and number 2 values are different, which value you would like in that case, the value from the first row of 55555 or 2nd row of 55555.

@parry2k 
First row.

I want the value(s) from the earliest start date, ex:

kressb_0-1629226427807.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kressb your request doesn't make sense, you are summarizing the data on so many columns and some of the columns have different values, and that is why it is returning two rows.

for example, for 55555, number 1 and number 2 have different values and you will get the two rows where for 66666 all the columns have the same values and you are getting one row.

Follow us on LinkedIn

@parryk2 the request is to pull the lines with the first (min) start date for each UniqueID2

the request makes sense, I just don't know how to code it appropriately.

Yes, I've already determined what it is doing. I just don't know why or how to fix the code to get it to do what I want.

kressb
Helper V
Helper V

@Greg_Deckler any helpful links you could throw my way?

@kressb I would try using GROUPBY instead of SUMMARIZE in this instance as MINX(CURRENTGROUP(...)...) can be better than SUMMARIZE and MIN.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
kressb
Helper V
Helper V

@Jihwan_Kim any suggestions?

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @kressb ,

calculations in SUMMARIZE can lead to wrong results. For that reason it's best practice to use SUMMARIZE only to summarize columns and do the calculations with ADDCOLUMS. Take a look at the following article for details:

Best Practices Using SUMMARIZE and ADDCOLUMNS - SQLBI

I don't know if that's the case here, but that's the first thing I would try.

In your case this would mean the formula should be:

Table =
FILTER(
    ADDCOLUMNS(
        SUMMARIZE(
            ExistingTable,
            ExistingTable[UniqueID1],
            ExistingTable[Name],
            ExistingTable[Number1],
            ExistingTable[Number2],
            Rollforward[Number3],
            ExistingTable[Number4],
            ExistingTable[Number5],
            ExistingTable[Notes],
            ExistingTable[Site]
        ),
        "StartDate", MIN( ExistingTable[Start Date] )
    ),
    CONTAINSSTRING(
        ExistingTable[Notes],
        "Abc"
    )
)

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

@selimovd 

Adding the paranthesis after the Start Date:

"StartDate", MIN( ExistingTable[Start Date] )

defaults the data to the minimum start date in the entire table.

I need minimum start date for the unique id 2

maybe that is the flaw in my setup 

is there a way to write it so it 's just the first start date for each uniqueid2?

@kressb Sorry, forgot about the context transition. In this case the MIN needs a CALCULATE:

"StartDate", CALCULATE( MIN( ExistingTable[Start Date] ) )

Or here the whole measure:

Table =
FILTER(
    ADDCOLUMNS(
        SUMMARIZE(
            ExistingTable,
            ExistingTable[Name],
            ExistingTable[Number1],
            ExistingTable[Number2],
            Rollforward[Number3],
            ExistingTable[Number4],
            ExistingTable[Number5],
            ExistingTable[Notes],
            ExistingTable[Site]
        ),
        "StartDate", CALCULATE( MIN( ExistingTable[Start Date] ) )
    ),
    CONTAINSSTRING(
        ExistingTable[Notes],
        "Abc"
    )
)

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

@selimovd No sorry, I wish it was that easy.

I think the reason I am getting two start dates is the Unique ID 1 is changing from the first month to the second month. 

I need a formula where it just pulls the data for the First Start Date, no matter if there are changes later.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.