Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Navigate using full hierarchy" option

Hello

There is an option that you can check "Navigate using full hierarchy" udner Advanced options if you go to

Get Data | SQL Server database | Advanced options

What does this do ?

I googled it but found only one related link, where someone said you need to check this option when you use stored procedures as a data source, but no explanation as to why.

My job is to support internal Power BI users,

Appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I think this option determines how the navigator looks. Please refer to the snapshot below.

Navigate_using_full_hierarchy_option

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
igrandey89
Advocate II
Advocate II

igrandey89_0-1680274696247.png

This may be a few years late...But for good measure--here's some documentation from Microsoft

alwwebdev
Regular Visitor

From a database standpoint, the folders into which the tables and views are organized when this option is enabled are referred to as schemas.  When the option is left blank, the names, such as Production.Product refer to both the schema (Production) and the table (Product), view, or other object type.

You will also notice that when the option is NOT selected, the list is sorted in alphabetical order by object type with Views first, then tables, followed by table valued functions.  If the users are not database people, these terms won't mean anything to them, but can still help them understand when they have to scroll farther if they are using tables and also why the list looks like it is alphabetical, but not completely so.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I think this option determines how the navigator looks. Please refer to the snapshot below.

Navigate_using_full_hierarchy_option

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

There is an option that you can check "Navigate using full hierarchy" under Advanced Options when you go to

Get Data | SQL Server database | Advanced options

What does this do ?

I googled it but found only one related topic (someone said you need to check this when you use stored procedures as a data source with no explanation as to why).

My job is to support Power BI users within the company I work for.

Thanks in advance !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.