Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Model" tab no longer showing relationships

This is an issue I am having in Desktop. I am assuming there is a simple fix to this and I clicked a button or something without realizing it. As you can see in the picture below, none of the relationships are showing up and everything is greyed out. The relationships are still there if I select the "Manage Relationships" button on the ribbon menu. My reports still work so the relationships are active. Just weird that I can't drag and drop anything to create relationships here and can't view the relationships visually with the arrows between tables. 

Capture - Relationships Model.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oh, are you connecting to the model using a LIVE Power BI connection? That would explain it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a "solution" This is a problem with the Desktop software. We had this occur on multiple random reports. We are running the latest Desktop: 2.79.5768.1082

What we did to resolve it is rename the fields in the model window. Something innoculous like changing "S" to "s". We had to do this on multiple random fields until eventually the gray went away. There was no rhyme or reason on which ones to rename, or how many. Just keep doing until the gray dissapears. THE RELATIONSHIP LINES WILL NOT DISPLAY AFTER THIS. But it is okay. Simply do a save as, reopen, and the lines display and there is no more gray.

We initially thought it was a problem with special characters in the filed names. We had one like "Test & Demo & Butter". But changing it to "Test & Demo and Butter" worked on one report. So it still contained the same character. We don't think that is the cause, but worth mentioning.

This is a bug that needs to be addressed.

ChrisS32-

This saved me.

Same scenario, same solution.  Random change of field names eventually fixed the model view.

Thanks!

You made my day perfect....a bit of reorder some fields in the PowerBI Data View fixed this!!! After that I chose for "Reset Layout".....

Now everything is not greyed out anymore!! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually reached out to Microsoft Support and heard back yesterday. They acknowledged that it is a bug that will be fixed with the latest April 2020 update scheduled to be released next week.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

I can't reproduce this issue on my side, what type of data source are you work? Connection mode?  Please provide more detail information to help us clarify this scenario:

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

BTW, did this report file create on a previous version power bi desktop? have you tested to open it on the latest version of power bi?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe I have the most up to date version. I have Version: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March, 2020).

The data source was originally three different folders that had three to four excel files each. Then I also had two straight excel file connections. I think that @Greg_Deckler is correct that I somehow turned this into a live connection to the dataset on Power BI server. I am looking into how to revert back to the original data source. I'm not sure if that is your problem as well, @TTPHolland.

"The data source was originally three different folders that had three to four excel files each. Then I also had two straight excel file connections. I think that @Greg_Deckler is correct that I somehow turned this into a live connection to the dataset on Power BI server."

>>> certainly not that I did that but if an update does this I'll have to check.

That would be bad behaviour 😞

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you post the entire Desktop app, might be able to see something out-of-frame.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the full screen:

Capture - Relationships Model full screen.PNG

Weird, what happens if you hit the refresh and/or view button in the lower right?

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

The refresh button just rests the table placement back to their original location within the pane. The view button just zooms out and fits all of the tables into the screen. This particular report has been published and edited in the web based app. I'm not sure if that could have had some sort of unintended consequence here? 

Hi, Mkraemer,

I have since this morning exactly the same problem....:(

www.theturningpoint.nl

Oh, are you connecting to the model using a LIVE Power BI connection? That would explain it.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be honest, I don't even know what that means. I am pretty new to Power BI. So if I did that, it was unintentional. New question - How do I go about removing that LIVE feed? Or checking if it exists?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.