Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

"Don't summarize" is not working, in a Table / Matrix

I have some fields in my Power BI data model with Data type = 'Whole Number' and Default Summarization = 'Don't summarize'. For example, one of them is called "Year" and has—you guessed it—year numbers.

...And, when adding these fields to a Table or Matrix, by default, they get summarized! It always defaults to count, such as "Count of Year."

And then I have to manually change it to "Don't summarize." Even though the Default Summarization for the field is "Don't summarize."

I read a couple of similar posts, but typically they were from people trying to put a field into the "Values" field well of certain graph- or chart-type visualizations, -- where Power BI has to summarize.

Here, I'm simply trying to add the field to a Table, and it is getting summarized. What's up with that? It seems like a bug.

2 REPLIES 2
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @kevhav

Why not set your Year field to be Text.  That way PBI can't possibly summarize it. 🙂

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I considered that; but (a) it's not just Year, and (b) I want to keep these columns as whole numbers, e.g., because I want to perform calculations on them in measures and/or calculated columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.