Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TE
Frequent Visitor

"Cumulative" count - only active contracts

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out how our active contracts have changed through time, however I can't get the dax correct. Basically I want to count all contracts that are in contract states 3, 4 or 5 at a specific date (modified on). I've achieved the cumulative count, but my measure keeps taking into account contracts that are also in state 6 at the given date, which is not what I want. 

Here is an example in Excel of what I'm looking to achieve. (ERROR ALERT: both rows with the date 08/02/2018 should have active contracts as 2 since Contract A became active at that same date). A measure instead of a column would be preferable.  Thanks!

Count of active contractsCount of active contracts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TE
Frequent Visitor

For all those interested, I solved this on my own by the following three measures. 

Contracts = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Contract[Contract.id]), 
FILTER(Contract, Contract[Document.ContractState] <> "2")

Ended Contracts = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Contract[Contract.id]), 
FILTER(Contract, Contract[Document.ContractState] = "6")

Fleet (running total) = CALCULATE([Contracts]-[Ended Contracts],
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Contract), Contract[Modified On Date]<= MAX(Contract[Modified On Date])))

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@TE

Can you please explain the logic for the calculation of the last column? 

Sure!

Basically, if the contract is (up to that date) in contract state 3, 4 or 5, it is counted as active. However, if it is only in state 2 or has already gone to state 6 (up to that date), it should not be counted. Does this help? 

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@TE

On these rows why the value remains the same and it is not incremented by 1 e.g. 2, 3, 4

image.png

@themistoklis

Thanks for looking at the problem!

Contract A becomes active on 08/02/2018 and increases the count of active contracts to two. 

Contract B is already active as of 07/02/2018 and a change to status 4 on 03/03/2018 does not change the count of active contracts.

Same applies on 04/03/2018 with A as did with B on 03/03/2018. 

3, 4 and 5 are all in the state "active". Just a different kind of active. 

These are only a few columns of the data, therefore there are multiple "duplicates" in the actual dataset (such as 17/06/2018 and 09/07/2018) because values of oher columns in the dataset change (but those are not relevant here), but I thought it might be good to know when solving the problem.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@TE

So you want the cumulative values per contract.

Try the following DAX formula. Create a new MEASURE

Cumulative_Actual = 
CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( Table[Contract] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT( 'Table', Table[Contract]),
            Table[Modified on date] <= MAX ( Table[Modified on date] )
			&& (Table[Contract state] <> 2 || Table[Contract state] <> 6)
        )
    )

@themistoklis

Thanks for trying, but still not the right outcome. I already had something very similar. Here's what I have done

Contracts = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Contract[Contract.id]), FILTER(Contract, Contract[Document.ContractState] = "3" || Contract[Document.ContractState] = "4" ||Contract[Document.ContractState] = "5"))
Fleet (running total) = CALCULATE(Contract[Contracts], FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Contract), Contract[Modified On Date]<= MAX(Contract[Modified On Date])))

The problem is that this kind of dax is also taking into account the already ended contracts (state 6), which should be excluded. I don't think "cumulative" is right word for what I'm looking for, as that means the count is always rising.. I want a time series count of contracts, meaning the total can also decrease in time, as the example did.

TE
Frequent Visitor

For all those interested, I solved this on my own by the following three measures. 

Contracts = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Contract[Contract.id]), 
FILTER(Contract, Contract[Document.ContractState] <> "2")

Ended Contracts = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Contract[Contract.id]), 
FILTER(Contract, Contract[Document.ContractState] = "6")

Fleet (running total) = CALCULATE([Contracts]-[Ended Contracts],
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Contract), Contract[Modified On Date]<= MAX(Contract[Modified On Date])))

Hello

I have a similar problem and that was really helpful, thanks! 😁

I still have an issue, because these measures don't take into account the contracts that have been activated again (example, going from stage 6 to stage 3 again) and I also have to deal with changes being made in the same day so I'll need to find a way to insert the contract version number or the time somewhere 😅 but this was already a great help 😁

TE
Frequent Visitor

@themistoklis

BTW I just noticed a error in my example data. Both rows witht he date 08/02/2018 should have active contracts as 2 since A became active at that same date, sorry!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.