Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rajdsing
Regular Visitor

"Compute Using" option

Like "Compute Using" option is present in tableau for doing calculations across table, across pane etc, is there any similar feature in power bi?

9 REPLIES 9

Can you describe the behaviour of "compute using". I have never heard of it. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

For example when you are calculating the percentage of grand totals, you have options in tableau to compute it using the "Compute USing" across rows, columns, or Pane etc. See the image attached to get an idea of all the options.

e UsiUntitled.pngng" function

The CALCULATE function allows you to change the filter context in any report.  Using this tool, you can create virtually anything you need. An example is a simple table

Year.   Qty

2001. 10

2002.  15

total.   25

To get each row percentage of total, you would write something like

=divide(sum(table[Qty]),calculate(sum(table[qty]),ALL(table[year])))

but out it is a big topic 🙂

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Matt,

Is there a simple way of calculating the running total... I am also trying to draw a pareto chart

Quick and Versatile are often strangers.  Power BI is very versitile, but not so quick.  You can write a formula for a running total like this.

=calculate(sum(table[qty],

filter(all(calendar),

calendar[date] <= max(calendar[date])
   )
)

this may or may not be what you are after I guess, but it will create a running total.

If you read my book and do the exercises, you will be on your way to becoming a DAX Ninja 🙂

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rajdsing That is a complicated question. I received help from a community member on this. It was successful. Here is the link.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Pareto-80-20-calculation-for-items-making-up-80-of-Sales/m-...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

There is also a new quick calc feature on some visuals. I blogged about that here 

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-may-2016-update-another-cracker/

It only has % of grand total but not the running totals or cumulative sums

Hi @rajdsing,

Could you please share sample data of your scenario and post the expected result? To compute running totals or cumulative sums, you can write DAX by referring to the following similar blogs.

Running Total Techniques in DAX
Cumulative Total

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.