Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

"Access to the resource is forbidden" from OneDrive for business

Good afternoon,

What is the fix to the message "Access to the resource is forbidden" for connections to files on OneDrive for Business?

The report was refreshing fine until yesterday (this particular report I refresh manually on Desktop daily prior to updating on the service) when this message appeared out of the blue, and persists today?

My credentials to OneDrive have not changed, I have not changed the connection settings in the report.. bascially I haven't changed a thing (other than adding rows to the source files).

I've also tried setting up a new PBIX with a connection to one of the files and I'm getting the same error.

Has something in the connection to OneDrive happened of which I'm unaware of?

Thanks,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @PaulDBrown ,

sometimes things become a little weird, as Power BI Desktop stores credentials inside the Win10 credential store.

Sometimes things happen and you choose the wrong authentication method, or this, or that ...

For me, these steps always solve this situation for onedrive for business or sharepoint online.

1. open a blank Power BI Desktop file
    File --> Options and settings --> Data source settings --> Options: Global Permissions
    Select the data source that points to your onedrive for business and clear the permissions.
  2. Open your pbix that has the issues
    File --> Options and settings --> Data source settings --> Options: Data sources in current file
    Select the data source that points to your onedrive for business and clear the permissions.
  3. Just hit refresh and make sure you select the proper authentication method, for onedrive for business or sharepoint online it's either Microsoft account or organizational account.

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @PaulDBrown ,

sometimes things become a little weird, as Power BI Desktop stores credentials inside the Win10 credential store.

Sometimes things happen and you choose the wrong authentication method, or this, or that ...

For me, these steps always solve this situation for onedrive for business or sharepoint online.

1. open a blank Power BI Desktop file
    File --> Options and settings --> Data source settings --> Options: Global Permissions
  2. Open your pbix that has the issues
    File --> Options and settings --> Data source settings --> Options: Data sources in current file
  3. Just hit refresh and make sure you select the proper authentication method, for onedrive for business or sharepoint online it's either Microsoft account or organizational account.

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens 

That was a perfect explanation, Tom. Very much appreciate your help!

Best,

Paul.

Paul on Linkedin.

Hey @PaulDBrown , you are welcome. If it solves the issue, please mark my previous post as solution.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens 

Oh dear! I seriously cannot believe I forgot to mark your solution!! Sorry about that!

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.