cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

"A circular Dependency was detected" error while creating a calculated column

Hi,

I am trying to create a table visualization in Power BI. Where I am showing sales by category and target %. Now I am creating 2 calculated columns in it. The first column tells me Yearly Sales target. Which is as below:

Yearly Sales Target = (1 + Target%) * [Yearly Sales].

This is working fine. But when I am trying to create a new column for monthly sales target with the formula as below:

Monthly Sales Target = (1 + Target%) * [Monthly Sales].

I am getting the error as "A circular Dependency was detected".

Any suggestions on how to remove this error?

Thanks,

Siddhant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
malagari Member

Re: "A circular Dependency was detected" error while creating a calculated column

This is a good refresher on circular dependencies: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-circular-dependencies/.

In your case, Power BI does not allow to have two calculated columns that contain measures that are also based on that table.  In order to understand why, you'd need a better understanding of what's going on under the hood.

In order to get around it, you should try turning these into measures that reference the [Yearly Sales] and [Monthly Sales] measures.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
malagari Member

Re: "A circular Dependency was detected" error while creating a calculated column

This is a good refresher on circular dependencies: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-circular-dependencies/.

In your case, Power BI does not allow to have two calculated columns that contain measures that are also based on that table.  In order to understand why, you'd need a better understanding of what's going on under the hood.

In order to get around it, you should try turning these into measures that reference the [Yearly Sales] and [Monthly Sales] measures.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

View solution in original post

@malagari Thanks for the solution.

sgovindarajan Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@siddhantk989 @malagari I am facing the same issue. How did you solve this?

Hi @sgovindarajan

This solution from Dan actually helped me with the error:

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 122 members 1,602 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: