Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bolabuga
Helper V
Helper V

question regarding dates

Good day everyone.

I have the following situation:

We do readings of total water (in M³) used in a month, every month.  The readings are made through the hydrometer installed in each house on determined city, and the problem is originated from this scenario, because a "month" though in total varies from 29 to 31 days in general, they usually start for my city, at 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14 of a month and end in the next month in 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14. Let me put a excel table as example.

2.PNG 

Example table showing that i have readings of hydrometer in the days 12/05/15 and 01/06/2015 and the both dates belong to the reference may/2015 (cycle 5).

Sem título.png

Question: Is there a way to tell PBI that he should use my dates(days) respecting the month cycle?? because when comparing dates im getting error telling me that it need to have the same period.

Other thing, im using the following date table, that seens to be working, but if i could use days would be better.

Capturar.PNG

Thks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bolabuga,

>>Did i understand it right??

Yes, it is my option.

>>2- Again considering i understood correctly, theres a problem. Depending on the cycle, it can start at 11 and ending at day 9 or start at day 13 and end at day 11. I will write the actual 2016 cycle dates when i have a time window here on job.

It is hard to calculate the cycle range if you use the random days range to calculate it. I can calculate the cycle if you provide a specific range of days and an start date.

For example: 30 day, start date 2015/1/11.

Measures:

StartDate = DATE(2015,1,11)

DayRange = 30

Current Cycle =
var currentDate=MAX([Date])
var cycleCount=DATEDIFF([StartDate],currentDate,DAY)/[DayRange]
var cycleTotal=INT(cycleCount)+ if(MOD(DATEDIFF([StartDate],currentDate,DAY),[DayRange])>0,1,0)
return
if(currentDate>=[StartDate],if(MOD(cycleTotal,12)>0,cycleTotal-INT(cycleTotal/12)*12,if(MOD(cycleTotal,12)=0,12,cycleTotal)),-1)

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bolabuga,

You can create calculated columns to calculate cycle and cycle year(as same as fiscal year) :

Sample:

Capture2.PNG

Calculate columns:

Cycle = if([Date]>=DATE(YEAR([Date]),MONTH([Date]), 11),MONTH([Date]),if([Date]<DATE(YEAR([Date]),MONTH([Date]), 11),IF(MONTH([Date])>1,MONTH([Date])-1,12),BLANK()))

Cycle Year = if(MONTH([Date])=1&&DAY([Date])<11,YEAR([Date])-1,YEAR([Date]))

Visual:

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello xiaoxin, thks for the reply.

I did some writes on paper testing some dates using the calculated column you proposed. What i understand is.

1- The "calculate columns" are always considering that my cycle starts at day 11 and end at day 10, and getting "cycle" and "cycle year" numbers based on that range each month. Did i understand it right??

2- Again considering i understood correctly, theres a problem. Depending on the cycle, it can start at 11 and ending at day 9 or start at day 13 and end at day 11. I will write the actual 2016 cycle dates when i have a time window here on job.

adding new excel sample, sorry i should have added this the first time.

Capturar.PNG

Hi @bolabuga,

>>Did i understand it right??

Yes, it is my option.

>>2- Again considering i understood correctly, theres a problem. Depending on the cycle, it can start at 11 and ending at day 9 or start at day 13 and end at day 11. I will write the actual 2016 cycle dates when i have a time window here on job.

It is hard to calculate the cycle range if you use the random days range to calculate it. I can calculate the cycle if you provide a specific range of days and an start date.

For example: 30 day, start date 2015/1/11.

Measures:

StartDate = DATE(2015,1,11)

DayRange = 30

Current Cycle =
var currentDate=MAX([Date])
var cycleCount=DATEDIFF([StartDate],currentDate,DAY)/[DayRange]
var cycleTotal=INT(cycleCount)+ if(MOD(DATEDIFF([StartDate],currentDate,DAY),[DayRange])>0,1,0)
return
if(currentDate>=[StartDate],if(MOD(cycleTotal,12)>0,cycleTotal-INT(cycleTotal/12)*12,if(MOD(cycleTotal,12)=0,12,cycleTotal)),-1)

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

thks xiaoxin, although i cant apply the solutions to my current scenario, it will surely help me along the way. Nice suggestions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.