cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
emveha Member

publishing is complete, however we couldn't refresh your dataset

hi all,

this morning i have modified one of my datasets with the desktop version and after i saved the modifications i published the dataset to the webversion. Before closing the desktopversion, i got the message: "publishing is complete. However we couldn't refresh your dataset". Did a manually refresh with the desktop version which went well, but if i go to the web, i can run "refresh now" but nothing happens. Tried a different dataset and the strange thing is that i managed to update this dataset but others didn t update as well (it does not give any error messages and does not show that you have started a refresh on demand...). Checked the on-prem gateway with the most recent version and they both seems to be the same (both have version 14.16.6584.1).... 

Any ideas what to do???

thanks in advance
M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mxd Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: publishing is complete, however we couldn't refresh your dataset

Hi there,

I have the same issue, I managed to get a workaround but it's not perfect. 

So I store .pbix file on a SharePoint for a Version Control.

I went to Power BI Service -> Get data -> Files (Get) -> Pointed to my SharePoint location and it successfully published the report. But now I have two reports with same name... so it's not ideal.

I'm also wondering how this issue could be fixed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mxd Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

I have the same issue, I managed to get a workaround but it's not perfect. 

So I store .pbix file on a SharePoint for a Version Control.

I went to Power BI Service -> Get data -> Files (Get) -> Pointed to my SharePoint location and it successfully published the report. But now I have two reports with same name... so it's not ideal.

I'm also wondering how this issue could be fixed.

View solution in original post

emveha Member

hi MXD,

thanks for the workaround, if there is no other solution offered i will certainly give your solution a try. Hope there is a solution for this, checked again all datasource connections within the datagateway and they seems to be working properly.... As Power bi is a part of Office365, i hope there were no changes on that level that could affect the way of working in PBI.... Anyway, let's wait if there is a good solution...

thanks!!

albaantony Visitor
Visitor

Hi 
I have faced the same issue a couple of times. Would like to have a solution for this. I always delete the dataset from the Power BI workspace and then re publish it. It works for me. 
Cheers, Alba

rmaxix Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

I have the same issue, except it also won't refresh from the web service. I end up having to delete the report and dataset and re-upload, or publish under a different name. This is a major issue as it creates a break from the reports to all the pinned visuals on the dashboards.

This has happened roughly half a dozen times but only in the last few months, never had this problem before, over the 12m I've been using BI.

The 'Solution' currently given in this topic isn't a workable solution only a workaround which isn't really sustainable.

emveha Member

what you also could do is to open the pbix in desktop, go to the datasourcesettings and delete the one that is giving issues. After deleting create a new one and the dataset will still be working. Publish the Pbix and all reports are still okay.... In my case it worked.

doobie Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Little late to the party but I ran into this issue this morning with one of my reports. I resolved this by deleting the query cache and disabling query caching. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 323 members 3,137 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: