Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MK1979
Regular Visitor

publishing Power BI with a Biq Query with a DirectQuery connection

In Power BI desktop, I try to publish a report I've built from a directQuery conection with a Biq Query table.

I get the following message:

'Publishing succeeded, but Power BI needs credentials for the data soource.
To provide credentials, please click on the link below.

<link> Open 'mkPowerBItest.pbix' in Power BI'

which take me through to Power BI service (web rbowser version)

Then I get the following message:

'Couldn't load the schema for the database model
Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.'

Am I missing a component here?

Thanks

Matt

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MK1979,

As the error prompts, please check whether you have specified correct credential to connect to Data Source. If you set up scheduled refresh for this dataset, please make sure you have added data source to gateway successfully. And check that the connection string in Power BI Desktop match those in the gateway.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana, would you mind please outlining the step by steps I need to take to get this big query data set published in power BI service?

check whether you have specified correct credential to connect to Data Source - yes I did this in power BI desktop.  Do I also need to do this in power BI service?  if so how do I do this?

If you set up scheduled refresh for this dataset - you mean doing this is power BI service or power BI desktop?  

make sure you have added data source to gateway successfully - this is done in desktop or service?

Hi

I can see it says this

Specifying the following option in the underlying M in the Source step, which can be customized by using Power Query Editor in Power BI Desktop:

Source = GoogleBigQuery.Database([BillingProject="Include-Billing-Project-Id-Here"])

Can you talk me through the steps in desktop to take to navigate me to thie place where I can find this hidden 'nderlying M in the Source step' and apply the changes please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.