Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bakhtawar
Post Patron
Post Patron

publish to web option on cloud

I have .pbix file .. I implemented row level secuirty on that file by "manage roles" option now when i publish that file in cloud

and from cloud when i click to secruity and add respective email address then from cloud when i try to publish to web then i did not find that option

"Embed-- publish to web "

i follow this link to implement RLS

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6153/power-bi-row-level-security/

when i delete all roles from desktop and cloud and publish again .. then this option "embed-- publish to web"  is enabled on cloud

why this is happed?

i dont have power bi pro account.. i am using this for free..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Bakhtawar ,

RLS function only works with Pro or other License.  Publish to web option is not working with RLS because it is like you are viewing any public link without any credentials. You can refer limitations of Publish to web using below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web#limitations

Capture.JPG

Don't forget to hit THUMBS UP and mark it as a solution if it helps you!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Bakhtawar 

It is nothing to do with pro or free account, the problem is publish to web do not support report with assigned RLS. 

You can scroll down to Limitations section for detail including other restrictions:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web

Paul Zheng

i have power bi account .. and users is also currenlty log in and related to my organization .. i dont understand how i solve this

@Bakhtawar 

If you don't want buy Power BI Pro licence, I am afraid the only workaround is View as Roles in desktop, you view as created role and copy paste the data tables or static visuals maybe in excel, then sent the excel to users. 

Best,
Paul

u mean when implementing RLS on cloud then we need Power Bi premium account ?

@Bakhtawar ,

RLS function only works with Pro or other License.  Publish to web option is not working with RLS because it is like you are viewing any public link without any credentials. You can refer limitations of Publish to web using below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web#limitations

Capture.JPG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Bakhtawar RLS worked based on the user who is currently logged in and looking at the report, if you are using  Publish to web there is no user involved and that's they reason it is not working. In other words there is no security involved in  Publish to web, who so ever has access to link can see the report.

SO you do need Power BI Pro account if you really want to use RLS.

Hope this helps. Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.