Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Myran
Regular Visitor

publish report to public web with phone layout

In my Desktop-report I have created a phone layout for my report before I publish to Power BI online.  When I choose to "publish to web", only the "ordinary" report view is available even if I look at the report on my phone. As I understand it after reading a bit, the phone layout is only available in the power bi app, but to use the app the reader of my report must have a power bi account, right? So, how can I publish reports to the public that looks good on a phone as well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Myran,

First, you're right. Phone layout is only available in the power bi app, if you want to use the phone, you have to have a Power BI account. Becasue you create or edit report/dashboard in Power BI desktop, publish it to Power BI service. Only you have an account, and sign in and get the reported you created in your phone. 

Second, "Publish to web" means you publish it to public web, it is unsupported in phone layout view. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
JonKF

This item says solved, but has there been any progress on the issue of mobile accessibility of the publish to web function since 2018?  

My understanding from current guidance is that mobile optimisation is still only available for viewing reports within Power BI mobile apps- is this correct?

Some guidance on best practice for making publish to web as mobile accessible as possible would be really useful given how many users consumer reports in this way. Especially if you want to share a report publicly on a webpage without requiring app downloads.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Myran,

Please mark the right or helpful reply as answer. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Myran,

First, you're right. Phone layout is only available in the power bi app, if you want to use the phone, you have to have a Power BI account. Becasue you create or edit report/dashboard in Power BI desktop, publish it to Power BI service. Only you have an account, and sign in and get the reported you created in your phone. 

Second, "Publish to web" means you publish it to public web, it is unsupported in phone layout view. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

What´s the point of working the mobile layout and publish to web if it can only be accessed by phone? My boss is not going to be downloading apps for me. So it´s pdf now and i don´t think it´s convenient. It´s an analytic and reporting tool. 

@v-huizhn-msft wrote:

@v-huizhn-msft has there been any update on this in the past 18 months? This is the only reference I've been able to find for the "Publish to Web" feature not working in a phone web browser - the official documentation is not very clear on this. If there's no planned solution, this pretty much means I will have to move away from Power BI

+10000

Still waiting for a reply on this, will MS make power BI Mobile available for public access?? otherwise I will have to find other software.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely agree with EBaird.

Every website should nowadays have a mobile layout.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This is also a broader accessibility issue, the reports should be usable with different types of devices. I too am interested in the schedule of mobile layout option for publish to web.

BR,

Aino

Total agree MS has decided what "Publish to web" means.....  As last time I check my phone/tablet can view items on the web too in a browser such as Power BI dashboards without the need to have the Power BI Mobile App.

All websites render for mobile phones and tablets.  MS needs to offer this as well or change all the docuementation they have around Phone View to Power BI App View  as it truely is NOT a phone view.

I am let down by this repsonse as well.  Hopefully they can put this on their roadmap.

@v-huizhn-msft wrote:

Second, "Publish to web" means you publish it to public web, it is unsupported in phone layout view. Thanks for 

Any plans to bring phone layout support to published reports in the future? 

I guess a work around would be to embed the iFrame into another site that scales for phones. 

Regards

Nick

Total agree MS has decided what "Publish to web" means.....  As last time I check my phone/tablet can view items on the web too in a browser such as Power BI dashboards without the need to have the Power BI Mobile App.

All websites render for mobile phones and tablets.  MS needs to offer this as well or change all the docuementation they have around Phone View to Power BI App View  as it truely is NOT a phone view.

I am let down by this repsonse as well.  Hopefully they can put this on their roadmap

I am let down by this repsonse as well.  Hopefully they can put this on their roadmap

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.