Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KWilliam
Regular Visitor

provider: SSL provider, error 0:The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted

One (but only one ) of our users is getting the error message above when trying to log connect to a server in power BI.  I'm a little confused about this because if there was a certificate problem I would expect more users to have the same problem.  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

From error message I don't believe this is a Power BI desktop issue per se.  The respective machine doesn't trust issuer of the cert being presented to client.   YOu can try to connect from Excel on same machine to see if it works...but it shouldn't.

Is the user being affected a new user? On same domain as others?   Do you run your own CA?  Is person trying to connect to sql server?  If so, does the sql server have cert self signed/ signed by internal CA or trusted, public CA?  CA trusts pushed out via Group Policy? 

Lots of thing to check, so maybe best to get with your IT department.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
marthafrancisco
Regular Visitor

I have reinstalled the SQL Server certificate ( find it here ) and then cleared the "Global permissions" ( find it here ) on the power bi file dataset and the user was able to connect and refresh/access the dataset.

mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

From error message I don't believe this is a Power BI desktop issue per se.  The respective machine doesn't trust issuer of the cert being presented to client.   YOu can try to connect from Excel on same machine to see if it works...but it shouldn't.

Is the user being affected a new user? On same domain as others?   Do you run your own CA?  Is person trying to connect to sql server?  If so, does the sql server have cert self signed/ signed by internal CA or trusted, public CA?  CA trusts pushed out via Group Policy? 

Lots of thing to check, so maybe best to get with your IT department.

It appears that the problem was in the users PC.  We installed power BI on another laptop and had her get data from the same server, and there was no issue.

Had same issue today with a user who git a new windows 10 laptop.

Changed her datasource setting from Microsoft Account to Windows Login and she could continue to refresh data.

Thanks for your response.  We have been able to connect to the same server using  Excel, which was a bit of surprise to us as well.

The person effected is one of our heavier users of Power BI, so it's not a new user issue.  The message just started appearing a few days ago

Thanks for suggesting that in might be the PC. I hadn't thought of that. I will try having the user sign and try to connect to the same Server from another PC

@KWilliam,

In your scenario, please make sure that the certificate used by the SQL Server is within the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store of the machine running the Power BI Desktop. For more details, please review the following similar blog.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/ssl-security-error-with-data-source/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.