Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cabell
Advocate I
Advocate I

progressive display of chart series

I am trying to build animation into visuals and need some help with how to show progressive data points during the 'play' cycle. There is a custom viz which does this (Pulse Chart) but it only accepts one value. I have the same issue with a bubble chart with no date to use so am trying to use the bubble size to progressive show each new (and all subsequent) data points rather than just one at a time.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @cabell

I think that case is easier.  Here is the modified code for one of the measures.  Hopefully it's enough to give you the idea

Measure over Series A = 
VAR x = MIN('Play Axis'[T1])
VAR y = MIN('Table1'[Time])
VAR z = if(x>y,MAX('Table1'[Series A]),BLANK())
return z

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Hi @cabell

One hacky way to do it is to drop a measure like this into the Values (unfortunately it shows in the legend)

Dummy Measure = 0

Then you can configure the Y axis start/end to hardcoded values to stop it bouncing around.  Not perfect but maybe closer to what you need.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @cabell

Have a look at this custom visual

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380981?src=office&tab=Overview

It allows you to play another chart over time

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks @Phil_Seamark I had tried that already and as far as working through each variable it works. What I need is the progressive accumulation of the variables. eg. 1 = data point 1, 2 = data point 1 & 2, 3 = 1&2&3 and so on

You can still do that. You just need cumulative measures which you can write in DAX. I'll mock up an example tomorrow if you send me a small sample set of data.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks @Phil_Seamark, it seems obvious now that someone with the knowledge says it.

Sample data below

Time      Series A            Series B              Series C 

T1          100                    100                    100

T2         50.85                  42.25                  42.66
T3         32.51                  23.44                  23.03
T4         19.59                  11.83                  null
T5         14.83                  11.34                  null

Thank you in advance.

Chris

Hi @cabell

Here is a sample PBIX file that uses your data and shows the play axis revealing the data.

The key is to use a separate table for the play axis to your actual data with no relationship

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtDlC2rep7a-oC4mrrdvWk8O7Oza

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark thank you ever so much for the file. The outcome I am aiming at doesn't requried the data to be cumulatively added, only displayed prgressively. I have learnt something from the code you have provided and will try to manipulate it to suit.

Thanks again, your time and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hi @cabell

I think that case is easier.  Here is the modified code for one of the measures.  Hopefully it's enough to give you the idea

Measure over Series A = 
VAR x = MIN('Play Axis'[T1])
VAR y = MIN('Table1'[Time])
VAR z = if(x>y,MAX('Table1'[Series A]),BLANK())
return z

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark Bang on!!  You would have suggestions on how to have the full X axis show from the start (being cheeky now I know).

Hi @cabell

One hacky way to do it is to drop a measure like this into the Values (unfortunately it shows in the legend)

Dummy Measure = 0

Then you can configure the Y axis start/end to hardcoded values to stop it bouncing around.  Not perfect but maybe closer to what you need.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.