Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nonoliem
Regular Visitor

problems with tables in excell

I have an Excell table with energy consumption per date-time(15 minutes intervals)-day of the week.

When trying to make visualizations in the desk top, powerBI show/reports the data not in a normal sequential such as january through december and/or 01 january 2014 through 31-12-2014. Instead it shuffles dates, times in a inorderly manner so it seems.

I therefore can not or donot know how to make a dashboard where you van make a slections such as for example: month january, date 1 thru 15, time 00:00 thru 8:00.

Can someone can give me advise on this?

1 REPLY 1

@nonoliem In order to sort your dates, and use time to analyze your data in a better way, you want to create a date table. If you are importing your data into Power BI, here is a really straightforward blog on how to accomplish this. At the end it explains your issue, you need to sort by a different column to force the dates to align as expected. When you have the date table created, just create a relationship between your date column in your table to the date column in the new date table. This will allow you to look at your data in multiple different ways across different time segments.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.