Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pernille1983

previous month, current month and next month on a shared axis

Hi 

I have a problem with how to show my data in a chart where I want to have salesperson and previous, current and next month on a shared axis. At the same time I want to have a count of types of customer meeting as values.

I can't figure out is I should use measures or tables to get the right overview.

Below you can see my data and the chart as it looks so far. The bottom chart shows the seperation that I want, exept for I would like the periods to be dynamic, instead of specific months. Besides this I also have a date table with dates, months and so on.

TableTableChart so farChart so far

This is what I wish forThis is what I wish for

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most simple methode will be if you edit the interaction of the visual containing previous, current and next month with other visuals on the report.

You can do this via menu item Format --> Edit Interaction button :

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4784/power-bi-visual-interactions/

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RolandsP
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

I solve this by following:

1) you need to add a new column in date table that gives a relative index to the month. Give 0, if it is a current month; give -1, if it is last month, and give 1, if it is next month. You can achieve that by so-called offsetting technic.

I have attached a code for Calendar table that you could use - see here. Just copy the code in blank query and you will have extensive Calendar table for your model. You should credit Avi Signh for this Calendar table code. You can find some more great stuff about Power BI on his website https://www.learnpowerbi.com/.

2) you will find column CurMonthOffset in your new Calendar table. Choose this column and insert in Visual level filters or Page level filters. And then choose only value -1, 0, 1 (these will return - last, current and next month).

Hi

Thanks for the answer, this however still doesn't work, I only get the colum for current month, not seperate colums for previous and next month for each salesperson

Chart 3.PNG

HAve you linked new date table to your fact table?

Yes and I use year and month slicer from the date table, so current month will be equal to the slicer values.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For this visual only, a slicer wont be necessary anymore. Do you have more visuals on the page?

Yes I have and they need the slicer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most simple methode will be if you edit the interaction of the visual containing previous, current and next month with other visuals on the report.

You can do this via menu item Format --> Edit Interaction button :

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4784/power-bi-visual-interactions/

Ok, this works. now I can see all three periods.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a separate table for dates? If not, please create one and add relationship between this table and your table with data.

Example to create Date-table:

Date = CALENDARAUTO()

Add another column in this Date-table:

Plus / min 1 month = IF(
IF('Date'[Date] > TODAY();0 - DATEDIFF(TODAY();'Date'[Date];MONTH);DATEDIFF('Date'[Date];TODAY();MONTH))
<= 1 &&
IF('Date'[Date] > TODAY();0 - DATEDIFF(TODAY();'Date'[Date];MONTH);DATEDIFF('Date'[Date];TODAY();MONTH))
>=-1;TRUE;FALSE) 

All dates will be evaluated if it is between first date of previous month and last date of next month. (value will be TRUE, else FALSE)

Add the Date and [Plus / min 1 month] columns to te visual and filter on TRUE

Hi 

Thanks for the answer, sadly it doesn't work. 

Maybe it's because I forgot to write that I use a slicer pointing to actual year and month. So current month is equal to what is selected in the slicer. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors