Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cuseman03
Frequent Visitor

preserving filters from buttons

Hi,

starting off by saying i'm pretty annoyed if what I think is true is true.  This notion that when you click on a button that functions as a bookmark and it drills into a page but does not preserve filters or sorting is mind boggling.  what is the thinking here.  My summary dashboard page has 3 text boxes allowing the user to click on each one.  drilling in one page is the summary data page but each chart is filtered to 'top 5' because i have a ton of values.  without sorting and filtering it's unreadable.  In other words, without preserving those i have to completely remove the first page.  is there any workaround here, going from button text to filtered chart?

thanks

evan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @cuseman03,

When using bookmarks you have several options one of them is the connection to data, this option is active by default meaning that your bookmark will keep the choices made at the point of the creation fo the bookmark.

Example if you have a slicer with option 1 selected and you create a bookmark that bookmark will always put your slicer vslue back to 1 even when you change the slicer value.

You need to turn off the dat connectivity by rigth clucking your bookmark and unchecking the data.

Believe that when you refer thst the filter and sorting is not being keept os based on this.

Check the documentation about the bookmarks.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks#using-bookmarks

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @cuseman03,

When using bookmarks you have several options one of them is the connection to data, this option is active by default meaning that your bookmark will keep the choices made at the point of the creation fo the bookmark.

Example if you have a slicer with option 1 selected and you create a bookmark that bookmark will always put your slicer vslue back to 1 even when you change the slicer value.

You need to turn off the dat connectivity by rigth clucking your bookmark and unchecking the data.

Believe that when you refer thst the filter and sorting is not being keept os based on this.

Check the documentation about the bookmarks.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks#using-bookmarks

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

I've an interesting challenge now - the Audience. It's an unsophisticated audience hence every action needs to be performed using the buttons and bookmarks.
Now the problem is - we have drill-through features for a Parent-Child data hierarchy. I've been asked to build this using button. So I've to duplicate the same chart - one for Parent and the other one with the child. If I keep both the charts visible on the screen - Parent chart filters the child chart as expected - but I've to show 1 chart at a time and from the Parent Chart - if I select a particular parent; and click a button - it takes me to another bookmark with hidden parent but visible chart right there - the data filtered by virtue of the chart element selection is not retained... Any suggestions? 

Hi @siddhartha0208 ,

For this you do not need to have two visualizations you can create two different bookmarks with the same visualization but one with the parent visualization another with the child that will  allow for you to overcome the issue of hiding and showing visualizations.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.