Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

powerbi desktop and sql server analysis service

Dear Team,

I am new to pwer bi desktop . One of my client send me a .pbix file for a rework but as soon as I open it in using power bi desktop it says unable to connect to analysis services server.can anyone suggests me a solution as how to open the same.Should I need any other credentials regarding to server?Thank you for your time.

Regards

Rishi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous You would need to have access to the Server/SSAS instance... The easiest approach is probably trying to speak with the client about remoting into a VM or machine in which you have access to the Desktop file. As long as you have permissions on the SSAS instance as well, you should be able to see it then.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BGZG

Hi,

I am trying to connect SCSM analysis service which is unfortunately om SQL 2008 RS server. I understand that it does not support live connection, but should I be able to use import?  I do not have any error to connect , but I cannot expend anything under DWASDAtabase. I can connect via SQL Management studio and I can browse all data. I asked SQL guys to restart analysis service and sql browsing service but it did not do any good. I am new with power BI, just start it yesterday to do some testing and i think I was able to browse it yesterday.

Sql guys cannot see any error on their side. Any idea?

I thought I posted a new quesstion , I guess I reply by mistake.

@Anonymous You would need to have access to the Server/SSAS instance... The easiest approach is probably trying to speak with the client about remoting into a VM or machine in which you have access to the Desktop file. As long as you have permissions on the SSAS instance as well, you should be able to see it then.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your quick reply....

Hi @Anonymous

Just add more information here. In the case that your client connects to SQL Server Analysis Service via “Connect live” option from Power BI Desktop, when the client sends PBIX file to you , you will not able to open the PBIX file unless you have access to the  SQL Server Analysis Service instance.

However, if your client connects to SQL Server Analysis Service via “Import data” option from Power BI Desktop as shown in the following screenshot, when the client sends PBIX file to you, you can open the PBIX file without issues and you don't need access to the  SQL Server Analysis Service instance. You can also suggest the client create PBIX file by connecting to SSAS via “Import data” option next time.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.