Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

powerbi Pro Vs Premium

Hi 

I moved new project where we need get the licenses for power BI for which i am very much new in accessing it . But we have like 2 users who create the reports and shares to users where we can go with Pro license .But we have like 100+business users where they need to visualize the data on daily basis .(They need to do export the data to excel and need to see the latest data).

By reading few forums i got to understand the users can get the preimum license which might be sufficient . 

1) will the users will be able to export the data to excel if they have preimum license?.

2) Users will be able to see the work spaces which are created to 2 developers which published the reports and  scheduled on daily basis?.

3) If i get the 10 premium licenses .Do we need to give any alias at the time of purchase on identification of 10 people .

4) If i use the pro features and published the report ?.does my other 10 business users requires the pro licenses to view the report ?.

5) Can i able to buy from premium license for 10 users? is that possible for my o-365 admin to purchase?

6) i see premium is node specific not user specific .So can i add 2k users for p1 node . I now that resources using are high .But just i want to check if users open the report published by pro users will there any issue in viewing the report ?.will it ask for any upgrdation to pro account?

If anyone can help here?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on your information, it seems that you have a little confused about Power Pro license and Power BI Premium license.

Actually, the Pro license is user license and Premiun is the capacity license. With Power BI Pro, users are licensed individually and participate fully in the use of Power BI – both the creation of content and the consumption. With Power BI Premium, you are licensing capacity for your content rather than licensing all users of that content. 

There are 2 scenarios for Sharing in Power BI Service.

1. With Power BI premium:

If you have power BI premium and your contents in Premium capacity, authors of content still need a Power BI Pro license, even if your organization uses Power BI Premium. Ensure you purchase at least one Power BI Pro license for your organization. But the consumers don't need Pro licenses.

2. Without Power BI premium: Both of the authors of contents and the consumers should have Pro license. 

If you want to purchase Power BI Premium, you could follow this document. By the way, you could use this calculator to choose the better Power BI license based on your requirement.

Moreover, you could have a good look at this blog which introduce Power BI pro license and Premium license in details.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on your information, it seems that you have a little confused about Power Pro license and Power BI Premium license.

Actually, the Pro license is user license and Premiun is the capacity license. With Power BI Pro, users are licensed individually and participate fully in the use of Power BI – both the creation of content and the consumption. With Power BI Premium, you are licensing capacity for your content rather than licensing all users of that content. 

There are 2 scenarios for Sharing in Power BI Service.

1. With Power BI premium:

If you have power BI premium and your contents in Premium capacity, authors of content still need a Power BI Pro license, even if your organization uses Power BI Premium. Ensure you purchase at least one Power BI Pro license for your organization. But the consumers don't need Pro licenses.

2. Without Power BI premium: Both of the authors of contents and the consumers should have Pro license. 

If you want to purchase Power BI Premium, you could follow this document. By the way, you could use this calculator to choose the better Power BI license based on your requirement.

Moreover, you could have a good look at this blog which introduce Power BI pro license and Premium license in details.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.