Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MP_123
Employee
Employee

power bi - tabular data

hi,

do power BI can 'get data' from data source that is not tabular? are there are any constraints?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MP_123

Power BI Desktop internally creates temporary Aanalysis Services Tabular/PowerPivot model database for each created .pbix file. That's the reason it always show data in tabular way. Please refer to articel below:

Connect to Power BI Desktop Model from Excel and SSMS

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@MP_123 can you explain more about what you mean, provide an example of the data you referring to

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

i am exploring PBI and i just want to know whether there are constraint on the data which PBI expecting to get.

whether it should be tabular only, bacause as i see the 'query editor' on pbi desktop show the data in a tabular way

thanks ! @vanessafvg

@MP_123

Power BI Desktop internally creates temporary Aanalysis Services Tabular/PowerPivot model database for each created .pbix file. That's the reason it always show data in tabular way. Please refer to articel below:

Connect to Power BI Desktop Model from Excel and SSMS

Regards,

@MP_123 you can pull basically what ever you want into power bi, it becomes a tabular model in power bi, but what it does before power bi isn't restrictred by power bi  it just depends on how you doing things.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.