Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

power bi store data in byte?

Hi,

i have one query for storing data in bytes.

for example if I am using SQL DB as datasource and in DB i use decimal (38,10) and int datattype columns.

at SQL DB front these columns take 17 byte and 4 byte for storing data value.

So, if I import this table in PBI desktop then what would be the size in bytes PBI stores.

Thanks,

Shubham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

In Power BI, VertiPaq stores each column in a separate data structure. This simple fact allows the engine to implement some extremely important compressions and encoding. Here is a good article about VertiPaq, which could help you understand how the VertiPaq engine stores data in Power BI. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

In Power BI, VertiPaq stores each column in a separate data structure. This simple fact allows the engine to implement some extremely important compressions and encoding. Here is a good article about VertiPaq, which could help you understand how the VertiPaq engine stores data in Power BI. Smiley Happy

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-ljerr-msft for sharing, it is very informative and detailed document.

so consider this, I can say Power BI use VertPaq engine and it has many methods to compress the data and these methods would be applicable according to the nature of data.

Am I right ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.