Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

scot72001
Frequent Visitor

power bi row level filtering for group email addresses

I've tested RLF and it appears that group email addresses isn't supported. is that correct?

Individual email addresses work fine but when adding a group email - users cannot access the report at all.

i have around 50 different roles that i would need to create and i would need to assign 3 people to each (for each report). each of the 50 roles should not be able to see the data from the other 49. is there any other approach/functionality that might be useful here?

2 REPLIES 2
scot72001
Frequent Visitor

Update:

So i'm now trying to use DAX code for a new role: [Userid] = Username() to restrict access.

When i use the 'view as role' and select a username that has some restricted access it shows correctly in destop, however, when i publish and try and view in the portal it displays all of the data and not the filtered down data.

i have tried following the link below but when i try to publish the username it gives an error saying there is something wrong with the userid field

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-username-in-dax-with-row-level-security/

Has anyone else come across this issue and resolved it?

Hi @scot72001,

Do you have the Userid field in your user information table? Does the Userid field contains email addresses of users? And have you created relationship between user information table and the other table?

I would recommend you review the example in the following blog about how to get dynamic RLS working in Power BI. In addition, please note that by default you have Admin rights to the model, you will be able to see everything in the reports, thus to check if the RLS works as expected, please share your dashboard with other user who has limited access to data in reports, for more details, please review this similar blog.

http://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-power-bi-made-simple

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.