Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cosminc
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

power bi reference source renamed/chanced - error on syntax

Hi,

when i use a folder as source with multiple excels power bi takes on first steps a reference from these excels; when this reference is deleted/changed/renamed i have error when i reload.

Any tip to skip this?

Thanks!
Cosmin

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @cosminc,

Please share more detail information to description your operation more clearly, it is hard to troubleshooting your issue without any detail description.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi

let's say i have a new pbi; when i choose a folder source - combine&edit it appears up on the left side this 

ex.jpg

and it takes a reference source

the problem is later when this reference source is no more on that folder

pbi looks after its name and returns an error because it don't find it.

How can i make pbi to be versatile and not take in consideration a name source as reference which can be or not later; think on this situation: this year i use 3 excels sources named 2016, 2017 and 2018 and the reference is one of them let's say 2016; next year i will have other years data than this reference 2019,2020 and 2021. i don't want to give me an error when the refference dissapears, the structure of the data is the same on all excels.

thanks,

Cosmin

Hi @cosminc,

If this is a case, I'd like to suggest you only use folder connector to get file list without do any combine operations.

Then you can create a custom table with specific table structure which you wanted, then manually to merge operation through table functions with list of excel files reference from above steps.

Reference links:

Creating Tables In Power BI/Power Query M Code Using #table()

Table.Combine

If you still confused on coding query formula, please share some sample excel files and expected result so that we can test to coding formula.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.