Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBiNoob
Frequent Visitor

power bi "Index Match"

Hi Power Users,

I have a excel formula that does what i need , but now to translate that to work in Power Bi has been a nightmare.

I tried to google for answers but no luck. Okay so hopefully my table and explenation will make sense. I have the fields (Id , Parent Id, Summary) , So the Id field wil always be unique, but the parent Id field can have multiple "numbers" that points to the Id field (see Id 3) , the summary field is description of Id and Parent Id (Where Id will be the Main info , and Parent Id the more detailed info. My question is I need to return the summary of the Id where the Parent Id matches the Id and not the summary value of the Parent Id "the more detailed part". My excel formula I use that works is  - =INDEX(C:C,MATCH(B:B,A:A,0))

Thanks in advance

IdParent IdSummaryWhat I Need
11AA
22BB
33CC
43C "and info of C"C
55EE
66FF
711G#N/A
812H#N/A
913I#N/A
1014J#N/A
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about a column formula such as:

Parent Summary = LOOKUPVALUE ( [Summary], Table1[Id], Table1[Parent Id] )

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PowerBiNoob,

That's a column formula, not a measure formula.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about a column formula such as:

Parent Summary = LOOKUPVALUE ( [Summary], Table1[Id], Table1[Parent Id] )

If I do that it doesnt want to accept the last column value.

ParentSummary = LOOKUPVALUE (Top30ParentSum[summary], Top30ParentSum[Id], Top30ParentSum[parent.id])

"A single value for column 'parent.id' in table Top30parentsum' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation......"

Not sure if this would help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PowerBiNoob,

That's a column formula, not a measure formula.

Sorry for the late reply , Thanks again for the solution , I tried the lookupvalue before but as a measure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors