Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

candy
Regular Visitor

power bi pro

Hello, I have a few question about power bi pro,

I have try power BI and desktop few weeks! That's great! 

Q1: But if I need to link SQL for our company, I must use    " Power BI pro + gatway"   right? 

Q2: When I admin Power BI pro trial version, I went into office 365 interface.

(I didn't use this before so a little unfamiler for me to use)

Is there any video about Power BI Pro interface introduce?

or it means we buy Power Bi pro then the Power BI function will add! NO more need to familer another interface? 

Q3:  And when I go to  Power BI interface, I find some change after I admit Powe BI pro.

=>    that means I can use internal SQL for Power BI now? 

Thank you so much!  🙂 

Candy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HelloEno1978

Thank you for your reply 🙂  🙂 I still have other question, can you support me? Thanks!

About Q2 : 

Other than provisioning a Power BI license, Groups, and a few Office 365 admin perms - everything is in a stand alone application app.powerbi.com

=> SO,  Once I have Pro app (First step to buy)-

Then I can connect and use a SQL database as a dataset on Power BI different app right?

That means use Power BI to connent company's SQL data by gatway.

(Basic : Azure SQL => improve to SQL server analysis services :D)

Q3:Although Desktop can connect company's SQL, but didnt have(1) dashboard => need to publish to power BI

(2)and didn't  refresh to get data auto.

Right? So BI pro seems better.  

Thanks a lot 

Candy 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@candy

Q1 - yes

Q2 - Check out this "Getting Started" link here it provides much of what you are most likely seeking. Other than provisioning a Power BI license, Groups, and a few Office 365 admin perms - everything is in a stand alone application app.powerbi.com.

Q3 - Once you have Pro - you can connect and use a SQL database as a dataset.

There are 2 main components to Power BI. The Desktop which you don't need any license for, and will work in connecting to your SQL database. And the Service (app.powerbi.com) - which you will need in order to create dashboards and share. This component requires the Pro license in order to share certain data.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

HelloEno1978

Thank you for your reply 🙂  🙂 I still have other question, can you support me? Thanks!

About Q2 : 

Other than provisioning a Power BI license, Groups, and a few Office 365 admin perms - everything is in a stand alone application app.powerbi.com

=> SO,  Once I have Pro app (First step to buy)-

Then I can connect and use a SQL database as a dataset on Power BI different app right?

That means use Power BI to connent company's SQL data by gatway.

(Basic : Azure SQL => improve to SQL server analysis services :D)

Q3:Although Desktop can connect company's SQL, but didnt have(1) dashboard => need to publish to power BI

(2)and didn't  refresh to get data auto.

Right? So BI pro seems better.  

Thanks a lot 

Candy 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.