Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aatkinson
Regular Visitor

power bi - merge/apend

Hello all, this is my first post so i hope i go into enough detail.

Im using power bi to get a better view of data which we have available in table/text format. This has been simple to export the data in .xlsx format and create a base power BI report. 

Each month i will be able to pull the same report and i can see that using the apend section i am able to add the new data to my existing report. 

My question : The second import will also contain updates to the previous data. Is it possible to apend the new data set and update and existing records which have a different value a month later.

report 1 - contains data from 01/05 - 31/05 
report 2 - will contain data from 01/05 - 30/06

as this second record my have changes to relationships etc, i would like to know if this can be updated as part of a merge or apend?

Thanks,

Aaren

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@aatkinson ,

You can import the two tables. Then merge the old table and new table using left outer join based on the date column in "power editor-> Transform-> Merge".

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the response, this was not quite the solution i was looking for however. 

It turns out, all i actually needed to do was change the source sheet within power bi, while using all of the same headers and data but with new data as each month passes. it was a much simpler task to just change the source.

Edit Queries > Settings cog next to the source and chose the new location > publish and this has worked perfectly. 

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.