Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avigutman

power bi direct query with azure sql

Hi,

I'm trying to create a new directquery report in power bi desktop.

when i type the credentials to connect to the databse i'm getting this error : "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided please try again".

when connecting with the same credentials in import mode it's works great and also from ssms.

in the sql server iv'e checked that the the allow azure services acces option is on and that my client ip is in the allowed ip's.

what am i missing?

Thanks,

Avi.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@avigutman,

I am unable to reproduce your issue, I can successfully connect to Azure SQL database using DirectQuery mode in Power BI Desktop.

In your scenario, please make sure that you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.49.4831.521). And please choose Database option to enter your sql login and password.
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of power bi desktop.

and i choose the database option to login.

as i mentioned before it only happens when trying to use directquery it works great with the import option.

Thanks,

Avi.

@avigutman,

Everything works well when I connect to Azure SQL database using import mode or DirectQuery mode.

In your scenario, I would recommend you go to Options and Settings -> Data Source Settings - Global permissions in Power BI Desktop, clear permission of any old connections about Azure SQL data source, then re-connect to the Azure SQL database using DirectQuery mode. And in the connection process, input specific database name.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.