Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gambrinus
Frequent Visitor

populate multiple columns

Hi,

I have text data that might look like this:

A fruit that grow in bunches are banana

Red Delicious apples grow on trees

Carrots grow in the ground

A summer vegtable is corn

I've added data to a custom column that extract the food from the text using something like this:

Fruit=CONCATENATEX (
    FILTER ( Categories, SEARCH ( Categories[Fruits], [Text Data],, 0 ) > 0 ),
    Categories[Fruits],
    ""
)
Return

VAR
Vegetable=CONCATENATEX (
    FILTER ( Categories, SEARCH ( Categories[Vegetables], [Text Data],, 0 ) > 0 ),
    Categories[Vegetable],
    ""
)
Return

Fruit&Vegetable

This works nicely. However, I want to populate another column with the literal "Fruit" or "Vegetable" depending on my variables.

I know I could use the formula again on the other column, but that seems inefficient. I could also append the correct word (eg if trim(Fruit)<>"",Fruit&"Fruit")  with a delimiter inbetween and then extract the data in the other column. However, I'm trying to figure out if I can populate the column I want directly.

I tried this with no luck:

if trim(Fruit)<>"","Fruit","Vegetable")

Any help is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi  @Gambrinus,

If I understand your requirement correctly that you want to reference the var fruit when you create another calculated column?

If it is, it seems that is not supported in Power BI currently. 

If you don't want to create the var fruit for each time when you create the calculated column, you could create the fruit as a calculated column, then you could reference it when you create another calculated column.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply Cherry.

What I want, is once I've detemined the type of food in ColumnJ, to populate another column (ColumnX) with a literal for the type of food.

In my two-food-type example, either Var Fruit or Var Vegetable will be populated. I'd like to accomplish this:

If(trim(Fruit)<>"",[ColumnX]="This is a Fruit",If(trim(Vegetable)<>"",[ColumnX]="This is a Vegetable","Unknown"))

So if the Var Fruit has a value, then ColumnX will contain the literal test, otherwise, if Var Vegetable has a value, ColumnX will have different literal text, otherwise ColumnX will have "Unknown"

Thank you.

Hi @Gambrinus,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Gambrinus,

Try this formula below.

Column 2 =
VAR fruit =
    LOOKUPVALUE ( 'table'[Fruits], 'table'[Text Data], 'table'[Text Data] )
VAR vege =
    LOOKUPVALUE ( 'table'[Vegetables], 'table'[Text Data], 'table'[Text Data] )
RETURN
    IF (
        vege <> "",
        "This is a vegetable",
        IF ( fruit <> "", "this is a fruit", "Unknown" )
    )

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

For more details, you could have a reference of the attachment.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.