Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

plumbing a bar chart visual's drill downs to another visual

Hi.  My column barchart shows a measure by boss and allows drill down (up to 12 levels) to a boss's subordinates by clicking on the boss's column bar.  I'd like a matrix visual to the right of the chart that shows the exact same info that is currently showing in the bar chart.  And i'd want it to change every time the bar chart changes.  It would show name in column one and the measure in column 2.  But I'd also like drill down in the matrix.  Which when it is clicked the bar chart would change.  Is this possible?  At this moment, my bar and matrix drill down actions seem independent of eachother.

db042190    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@db042190 ,

Your original requirement can't be achieved in Power BI Desktop, there is a similar idea about this issue, you can vote it up.

In addition, you can review more details about how interactions work in different visuals by reviewing the following blog.
https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4784/power-bi-visual-interactions/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
miltenburger
Helper V
Helper V

Can you show us the example, makes it easier to help you

will do.  Need a day or two to make an anonymous version of this whole thing.  Will post back here.

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

pls see the column chart next to the matrix below.  Employees 7a and 7b are subordinates to employee 6 in my employee hierarchy.  When i drill down, up etc on either of the visuals below, i'd like the other to sync up with the first.

visualsvisualsfieldsfieldsdata modeldata model

@db042190,

What you describe can’t be achieved in Power BI Desktop. However, there are some workarounds for you.

1. Click on the data section in the column chart, then choose “See data”.  You will be able to see a table visual at the bottom, and when you drill down in the column chart, the table visual will be synced.
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

2. After you drill down in the right Matrix visual, you can click on each row in the Matrix, the column chart will be highlighted.
4.JPG5.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thx, that brings up a couple of questions. 

Isnt there a portion of pbi that makes pbi extensible?  I got the impression somewhere that perhaps using code a developer can go behind the scenes and get more control of pbi behavior.  If yes, can that feature be used to accomplish this syncronization? 

Also, in general how can i describe the interplay i do see off the shelf in pbi to my bosses and peers?  For instrance, if i'm not drilling down and i click on a bar in the column chart, only that person's info shows in the matrix.  The other names disappear.  And like you showed there is interplay in the other direction as well.  What is pbi doing?  Is it trying to hilight info in other visuals that have some (all?) of the same columns in common?   What general rule is pbi using between and amongst visuals to get this interplay to occur?  

@db042190 ,

Your original requirement can't be achieved in Power BI Desktop, there is a similar idea about this issue, you can vote it up.

In addition, you can review more details about how interactions work in different visuals by reviewing the following blog.
https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4784/power-bi-visual-interactions/

Regards,
Lydia

scott murray suggested at https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4784/power-bi-visual-interactions/#comments "Maybe the custom visuals or maybe the API that would rolled out a few months back, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn877544.aspx"  is the extensibility i read about.  So that confirms there is currently no solution to this class of problem.  I voted the idea up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.