Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

percent of change from one year to the next

Hi All;

Here's my delemia:

I have a list of companies, and data that is PER year for 5 years.  In matrix form, I have the years accross the top and the company's listed down the side.  In each year column, is a a figure - this is a stand alone number that is not to be summed, totaled or in a running balance.

example:

20000           2001              2002          2003     2004

Xyz           10                  2                  -3                21         5

ABC          -6                 0                   5                 2           -1

Easy         18                 21                35              40           40

What I need is to show the % of change from one year to the next.

I think I need to do a measure where I say something like:

'00-01%chg = CALCULATE [field number], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR [Year]

and than do another measure

Var=[field number]-SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR [Year],DIVIDED [field number]

Of course the above doesn't work.....in excel I'd just create a column between each year, put the formula of =Sum(a12-c12)/a12

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you like something like this?

7.png

Create measures

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet7[value]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet7,Sheet7[company]),Sheet7[year]=MAX(Sheet7[year])-1))

Measure 2 = (SUM(Sheet7[value])-[Measure])/SUM(Sheet7[value])

If so, please let me know how you would like to handle the "infinity" value.

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you like something like this?

7.png

Create measures

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet7[value]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet7,Sheet7[company]),Sheet7[year]=MAX(Sheet7[year])-1))

Measure 2 = (SUM(Sheet7[value])-[Measure])/SUM(Sheet7[value])

If so, please let me know how you would like to handle the "infinity" value.

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie;

As I've been searching for how to correct the formula, I wonder if my Year field is the issue?  Right now its formated as "Whole Number".  When I change it to Date, all my years become 1905 (regardless of what Year it actaully is). 

Also note that when my Year column in visually used as a column (vs as a label accross the top) it displays as 6048 (regardless of what Year it actaully is).

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your reply - sorry for not responding sooner, its been a crazy week

The short answer is yes, you have created what I'm looking to accomplish - only 'Measure' keeps returning an error in the formulation - I've tried various things to fix it, but I'm not sure what the =MAX('Sheet7'[year])-1) does. 

right now I have -

YtoYmacthup = CALCULATE
(SUM('Financial Data'[ROE]),
FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Financial Data','Financial Data'[Company Name],'Financial Data'[Year]),
=MAX('Financial Data'[Year],-1))))

Which is returning the error:
The syntax for '=' is incorrect. (DAX(CALCULATE(SUM('Financial Data'[ROE]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Financial Data','Financial Data'[Company Name],'Financial Data'[Year]),=MAX('Financial Data'[Year],-1)))))).
OR if I take out the = sign I get:
A single value for column 'Year' in table 'Financial Data' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

Thanks so much for all your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.