Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TM_Visual
Advocate III
Advocate III

pbix is broken/corrupt: Can't refresh or preview existing queries or add new ones

I have a report, last edited around June 2021. It is about 80MB, with a couple dozen queries to files in Sharepoint, importing data from our warehouse, and querying a SQL server.

When I open the Query Editor and try to load the preview of a query the yellow bar loading the data lasts forever; the preview never loads. This exists on any query, from any source. When I try to add a new query (something simple like a 2kb .csv file stored locally), the loading screen exists forever. When I try to enter a table manually, after I click OK after putting in some dummy data, the new table won't load.

I have deleted every single query in the report, leaving it blank. It still won't import. I have copied over all queries in the report onto a blank one, and they all load fine.

Colleagues have tried opening the file on their machines, and have the same problem. I have restarted the PC several times, repaired the Power BI install with a fresh download of the latest version, and the problem persists. 

I assume the file has some kind of corrupted data model, or whatever system it is the runs below the queries created by a user.

Is there any way to fix the file, without re-creating the entire report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@TM_Visual,

Try to copy everything to a new pbix:

1. Copy the M code for each query from Advanced Editor (Power Query).

2. Use Tabular Editor to copy measures, etc.

3. Use the technique below to copy visuals.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Copy-report-page-from-PBIX-to-another-PBIX/m-p/800896#M3853... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@TM_Visual,

Try to copy everything to a new pbix:

1. Copy the M code for each query from Advanced Editor (Power Query).

2. Use Tabular Editor to copy measures, etc.

3. Use the technique below to copy visuals.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Copy-report-page-from-PBIX-to-another-PBIX/m-p/800896#M3853... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.