Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

b7laska
Regular Visitor

pareto

Dear Power BI Community!

I am new to the tool and yet I am challenged by following issue.

I want to show how much of out total sales revenue does our top 20 best-buying customers make. Looks like pareto.

1. I ranked TOP 20 customers in cluster bar chart filtered by (limited to) Top 20 revenues.

2. Now I need to provide the number what is a % of this TOP20 in our total sales. I like to show in on "Card" visual.

3. This might be important: the Total Sales will be also be sliced into countries of sales. So I would need ex. % of TOP 20 customers of US in US total sales, etc in other countries.

Would you be so nice and help me figuring out the measure that will answer my question, please?

Kind regards,

Alex

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @b7laska,

Did my solution work?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @b7laska,

There isn't a native or custom pareto chart in Power BI (how I wish there was one!). There are tutorials on how to make one though. The steps are a little finnicky especially for those who have just started using the tool. @v-jiascu-msft has already mentioned a link to a tutorial. Here's another one - https://powerbi.tips/2016/10/pareto-charting/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Alex,

Can you share a dummy sample please? It's hard to figure out measures without data and its structure. Please refer to these pareto related topics. 

Pareto-Chart/td-p/228536

create-a-pareto-chart-in-power-bi/

http://visualbi.com/blogs/powerbi/pareto-analysis-power-bi/

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Absolutely, Dale.

Please, find the screenshot of TOP 20 customers (filtered in manual filter TOP N). I want to show what % of total sales they make.

Top 20 chart.jpgThen, I would like to be able to provide that information even if I slice the data into localisation. Meaning, I need to show how much of TOP 20 customers in Australia make % total Australian Sales. So the same mechanism, but different denominator (slicer-dependant). 

slicer.jpg

I would appreciate your help and time

Thanks

Alex 

Hi Alex,

We can't create a solution without data. But there is a demo in the attachment. Please check it out.

1. In order to verify the formula, we can try this measure.

Top20IDs =
CONCATENATEX (
    TOPN ( 20, DimGeography, CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactSales[SalesQuantity] ) ), DESC ),
    [GeographyKey],
    "-",
    [GeographyKey], DESC
)

2. The formula for % of total sales is as follows.

top20% =
VAR top20Total =
    SUMX (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            TOPN ( 20, DimGeography, CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactSales[SalesQuantity] ) ), DESC ),
            "Sales", CALCULATE ( SUM ( FactSales[SalesQuantity] ) )
        ),
        [Sales]
    )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( top20Total, SUM ( FactSales[SalesQuantity] ), 0 )

pareto.png

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.