Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

overwrite exiting pbix workspace

i publish pbix to power bi servics but its not over writing existing report ( i think   report ID is  diffrent and hence not over writing)

what causes report ID to change? is it because i copy paste  using window level copy ?  

how i can over write existing pbix 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

The dataset, and any reports you created in Power BI Desktop, upload to your Power BI site when you publish a Power BI Desktop file. When you republish your Power BI Desktop file, the dataset in your Power BI site is replaced with the updated dataset from the Power BI Desktop file.

This process is straightforward, but there are a few things you should know:

• Two or more datasets in Power BI with the same name as the Power BI Desktop file could cause publishing to fail. Make sure you have only one dataset in Power BI with the same name. You can also rename the file and publish, creating a new dataset with same name as the file.

• If you rename or delete a column or measure, any visualizations you already have in Power BI with that field could be broken.

• Power BI ignores some format changes of existing columns. For example, if you change a column’s format from 0.25% to 25%.

• Say you have a refresh schedule that is configured for your existing dataset in Power BI. When you add new data sources to your file and then republish, you’ll have to sign into them before the next scheduled refresh.

• When you republish a dataset published from Power BI Desktop and have a refresh schedule defined, a dataset refresh is started as soon as you republish.

• When you make a change to a dataset and then republish it, a message shows you how many workspaces, reports, and dashboards are potentially impacted by the change, and asks you to confirm that you want to replace the currently published dataset with the one you modified. The message also provides a link to the full dataset impact analysis in the Power BI service, where you can see more information and take action to mitigate the risks of your change.

k1.png

For further information, please refer to the following document.

Publish datasets and reports from Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

The dataset, and any reports you created in Power BI Desktop, upload to your Power BI site when you publish a Power BI Desktop file. When you republish your Power BI Desktop file, the dataset in your Power BI site is replaced with the updated dataset from the Power BI Desktop file.

This process is straightforward, but there are a few things you should know:

• Two or more datasets in Power BI with the same name as the Power BI Desktop file could cause publishing to fail. Make sure you have only one dataset in Power BI with the same name. You can also rename the file and publish, creating a new dataset with same name as the file.

• If you rename or delete a column or measure, any visualizations you already have in Power BI with that field could be broken.

• Power BI ignores some format changes of existing columns. For example, if you change a column’s format from 0.25% to 25%.

• Say you have a refresh schedule that is configured for your existing dataset in Power BI. When you add new data sources to your file and then republish, you’ll have to sign into them before the next scheduled refresh.

• When you republish a dataset published from Power BI Desktop and have a refresh schedule defined, a dataset refresh is started as soon as you republish.

• When you make a change to a dataset and then republish it, a message shows you how many workspaces, reports, and dashboards are potentially impacted by the change, and asks you to confirm that you want to replace the currently published dataset with the one you modified. The message also provides a link to the full dataset impact analysis in the Power BI service, where you can see more information and take action to mitigate the risks of your change.

k1.png

For further information, please refer to the following document.

Publish datasets and reports from Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @Anonymous ,

You can overwrite a report in your Power BI workspace, if you publish a report with the same name as the name against the report in workspace.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

its not over writing it  , whyt it could be ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

its not over writing

i dnt see workspace name when i publish from within power bi desktop so i upload pbix by logging into power bi servies and get data option instead 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.