Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kunlemic
Regular Visitor

overlay two different coordinate dataset in one map

Hi, I am working on a report that plot geo coordinate on a map and overly another geo coordinate on the same map. How can I do this on power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can append two datasets into a single one with columns: 

lat | long | set

where lat and long would be coordinates and set would be a differentiator for your geographical layers. Then simply use Map visual as follows:

Sample map with "layers"Sample map with "layers"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can append two datasets into a single one with columns: 

lat | long | set

where lat and long would be coordinates and set would be a differentiator for your geographical layers. Then simply use Map visual as follows:

Sample map with "layers"Sample map with "layers"

The layout changed since the last update. Is this methode still possible?

@Anonymous

Thanks for the assistance again and it worked just right but I noticed that when I have large data, only one set is showing. Please is there any limitation to the size of data that this principle can work with.

Regards,

Kunle

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, yes, there is a limit of 3500 points you can display on the map visual at the same time. So you need to use some data filtering to limit the number of points to display. You can vote here if you would like Microsoft to change it: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7394290-allow-more-data-points-to.... Otherwise you would have to create your own custom visual I guess (needs code development).

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful. I just voted and if I may ask, at what point is the filtering applied: before getting data into power bi or after getting the data before I introduded a filter to display point less than 1000 and it still did not work.

I am also interested in the personal custom visual, any guide will be helpful.

Regards,

Kunle

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.