Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mobi_fish

oracle schema incorrect

power BI.jpgWhen I connect to my Oracle database the returned schema does not match the real database schema. The first 3 tables are correct, but then it lists 1000's of tables that do not exist with names like: "BIN$12FK7/+4EizgUy9nLouNDA==$0" when the name should be something like: "BLUEPRINT$" or "COMPONENT$" . As best I can tell, the real schema is never returned. It appears to me that the returned list is either being corrupted or that Power BI is incorrectly reading the schema in the first place. 

Here are some specs on the database:

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.3.0
CORE 11.2.0.3.0
TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.3.0
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.3.0

Any comments or assistance would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@mobi_fish

I think the schema is loaded well, regarding the "unknowns", check What are the BIN$s.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I see now that these are dropped tables in the recycle bin. I tried to purge the tables but do not have sufficient admin rights to do so. But there is a bigger question, which is why they are shown at all.

When I access this database and browse the schema using other products these "dropped tables" are not displayed. Also when I access the database using Excel Power Pivot or Power Query these tables are not displayed. It is my understanding (I may be wrong) that the recycle bin contents are not in the "All_Tables" table.

This behaviour of diplaying these tables seems unique to Power Query (based on my rather limited experience) and renders the product useless until I can find a solution. The problem is that there are too many of these tables (1000's) and Power BI cannot resolve the full list without "locking up".  Even if I could solve that problem I cannot work with a list that contains 50 tables I want and 1000's of tables that I don't want.

Is there a control buried somewhere in Power BI that can be configured to read all tables except "dropped tables"?

There is a typo in the previous reply. What I meant to say is:

This behaviour of diplaying these tables seems unique to Power BI  Query (based on my rather limited experience) and renders the product useless until I can find a solution.

@mobi_fish

It seems that when connecting to Oracle, Power BI runs some certain query to find out the tables(including the dropped ones) in schema. As a workaround, try to set up a query(select * from sometable) when connecting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.