Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

savaged

one report different clients, each only seeing their data

I have one report layout that I would like to share with each of my clients. However, each client should not see the data of the others. 

I thought I would create a database view for each client and source my BI report from these. Taking this route, I already will have to maintain a database view for each client and keep them aligned after any change. I don't want to create a copy of each report because that increases what I have to maintain. 

Is there a report template feature where the 'schema' of the report is defined and then each derived report can have its unique datasource (with the same schema)? Or another solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @savaged

dynamic RLS will suitable for your scenario, you can create a role based on username to filter.

you need user table to mapping current user emails and related to other tables to enable filter effect 

After finish setting dynamic role, you can publish your report and assign role to users by security setting(power bi services side) .

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

RLS with UserName()

Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet

Best regards

maggie

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @savaged

dynamic RLS will suitable for your scenario, you can create a role based on username to filter.

you need user table to mapping current user emails and related to other tables to enable filter effect 

After finish setting dynamic role, you can publish your report and assign role to users by security setting(power bi services side) .

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

RLS with UserName()

Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet

Best regards

maggie

Thanks Maggie,

I'm guessing I will need to have an AD set-up? 

Hi @savaged

Does AD refer to AD group?

Based on my test, it is not necessary to have AD group for RLS in Power BI.

You could refer to this article which shows the whole proccess of implement RLS in power bi.

Additionaly, there is some benefit when you have AD groups.

By using an Active Directory Security Group this will mean you do not have to add users manually and it will be managed as people are added and removed from AD Security Groups.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @savaged,

Have you looked into Row Level Security?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.