Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

barb8354
Frequent Visitor

one item belongs in two groups

Hi all,

I'm new to PowerBI.  I have a need to put one item into two groups.  I work for a University in the Athletics department.  I'm am creating a report that shows student-athletes by sport; however, I have a student-athlete that is in two sports.  When I group by sport I need him to show up in both.  For example, our one athlete is on the football team and also track & field team.  When I bring up football he should be on the roster, and when I bring up track and field he should be on that roster.  I have the grouping working, but how do I put him in two groups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BKirsch12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Typically for situations like this, you need one record to state the person is in one sport, as well as another record stating they are in another sport. This example shows how you could list the applicable sports a person plays:

MultiGroup.PNG

As you can see I do two sports: Baseball and Swimming. Now when you group by, I would show up under both sports.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BKirsch12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Typically for situations like this, you need one record to state the person is in one sport, as well as another record stating they are in another sport. This example shows how you could list the applicable sports a person plays:

MultiGroup.PNG

As you can see I do two sports: Baseball and Swimming. Now when you group by, I would show up under both sports.

I figured it out.  Each sport needs its own report.  This uncomplicates many things, including permissions.

Glad you came to a solution. If my solution would have fixed your original request, please mark it as an accepted solution. This will allow the next person with a similar issue to quickly find resolution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.