Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

helixabdu
Regular Visitor

one dashboard for multi users and multi databases of the same schema

hi 🙂

I have 9 databases with the same schema for 9 clients that all sign in my web applicaiton and every one see his data by a reports build by me in asp.net

Now after I see power BI I wonder if I can design just one dashboard for one of the databases then every user login will see his / here data on that dashboard?

9 REPLIES 9
helixabdu
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

Thanks for the clarification and the links.

actually putting all data in one Databases can not be done for now and the number of databases may increases in the future.

so can I create a Data-set for each Database, then when user connect I just connect the dashboard to that data-set to view his/here data?

Hi @helixabdu,

Since one dashboard or one report won't help in your scenario, I would suggest you create one Dataset for each Database. Though we can bring all data into one Dataset in Power BI, it isn't convenient. For example, the performance will be good for small dataset. Refresh of Dataset could be faster.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

I will be more clear this time may be I'm asking the wrong question 🙂 🙂

we have an (Accountant + Storage + POS) all in (one system one Database) that work off line on client desktop

there are Items Table ,Bills Table ,Transactions Table , Accounts Table .. etc .

we have about 6,000 client some of the clients need to see the reports on-line without going to there store or ask there employee to send them reports by email.

so I start work with 9 of them on that .. I upload some of there data on a server then start display the reports for them by using some APIs and Javascrip .. all I do is change the database name in the connection string when a client log in to the website and all of them can share the same design of the reports and dashboard and display a data of them.

now I need to move to Power BI because adding new reports and designing them are much easy than using javascript with APIs

so what is the possibles to achieve the same as I have with PowerBI

Note:

- some of my clients have data of more than one million recored for some tables.

- Some of the reports can be filtered by the clients as they need by some filter controls I added like selecting a date [from] [to].

Hi @helixabdu,

Let's see, do you really have 6000 databases or tables?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

No I have 6,000 clients and that mean some client have more than one store .. each store have one database or more (there is an option that can open new databases for every new year)

so the real number of databases are more than 10,000 databases.

but not all of them need to see their reports online just the clients that on abroad and need to follow up with their store

for now I have 9 clients each one with one databases

my current solution of asp that I host it on an azure VM and the databases with a sql pool it is work and fine, but adding new reports every time is take long time to create API optimize the "Select Query" then connect it to a Jason report and every report and design need its own schema and that just pain and need time.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

I will be more clear this time may be I'm asking the wrong question 🙂

we have an Accountant+Storage+POS all in one system that work off line on client desktop .. there are Items Table ,Bills Table ,Transactions Table , Accounts Table .. etc . we have about 6,000 client some of the clients need to see the reports on-line without going to there store or ask there employee to send them reports by email.

so I start work with 9 of them on that I upload some of there data on my server then start display the reports for them by using some APIs and Javascrip reports .. all I do is change the database name in the connection string when a client log in to the website and all of them can share the same design of the reports and dashboard and display data of them.

now I need to move to Power BI because adding new reports and designing them are much easy than using javascript with APIs

Note:

- some of my clients have data of more than one million recored for some tables.

- Some of the reports can be filtered by the clients as they need by some filter controls I added like selecting a date [from] [to].

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

I will be more clear this time may be I'm asking the wrong question 🙂

we have an Accountant+Storage+POS all in one system that work off line on client desktop .. there are Items Table ,Bills Table ,Transactions Table , Accounts Table .. etc . we have about 6,000 client some of the clients need to see the reports on-line without going to there store or ask there employee to send them reports by email.

so I start work with 9 of them on that I upload some of there data on my server then start display the reports for them by using some APIs and Javascrip reports .. all I do is change the database name in the connection string when a client log in to the website and all of them can share the same design of the reports and dashboard and display data of them.

Note:

Just chiming in. How granular is the data that it can't be consolidated into one database? Also if it's very granular how about aggregating it? You're gonna have to do some sort of aggregation in power BI anyway. As the previous person said, you can then add in RLS to filter the data for specific users. It's probably even much more managebale and better architecture this way tbh.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @helixabdu,

It seems your scenario is App Owns Data. I don't think that is a good idea. 

1. Since there is only one report (one dataset), there will be collisions when more than one customer login. For instance, Customer A logs in and asks to load data and then Customer B logs in and also do the same thing. Related API: power-bi/datasets/updatedatasources.

2. Since there are 9 databases, the performance will be bad if the customer switches the database back to the customer's and reload all the data. 

The workaround could be using one database and applying RLS. Please refer to power-bi/service-admin-rls.

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.